Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMake The Music
Topic subjectlaptop vs desktop....what do you recommend to record music on?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=26&topic_id=11543
11543, laptop vs desktop....what do you recommend to record music on?
Posted by buildingblock, Wed Jul-19-06 05:21 PM
my pc failed, and now i need a new machine to record music on to
i previously had cubase 3 on my pc set up with various native instrument soft synths

i'm thinkin' about changin' over to a mac laptop, like the macbook pro, or maybe even a older powerbook and either protools and reasons, or continue on with cubase, reason3, and some other native instrument synths

portability is my concern, allthough i'll prolly be stationary for the most part, but i at least want that option to set up shop elsewhere and make music

or, would you say that gettin' a g5 or g4 or another pc desk top is still the best way to go?

i don't really want this to be a mac vs pc post, but i'd like to read all the pros and cons some of you have experienced, so that i can be better informed when i make my decision
i will say this though, the only reason i went pc because i knew i could get all the software for free, cracks ane warez and all that

does the same run true with mac?
11552, This is kinda a complicated question
Posted by Nopayne, Wed Jul-19-06 06:48 PM
Generally I'd think a desktop would be best because you can upgrade the hell out of it more easily. BUT, you're talking about getting a Mac so I don't know if that's quite the case. You should consider how much extern stuff you plan on adding to it. How portable is a laptop if you have a few midi controllers, and external drive, and an external audio interface? It's up to you though.

Also, I would suggest that you stay away from G5/G4 computers. There is going to be pretty much NO new software for those systems due to the Intel switch. If you get an Apple desktop, wait until they drop some new shit.

===========================================
-Me

<----What OKP is listening to this week.
11556, dunno if i'd worry about g5's and compatibilty issues....
Posted by liveguy, Wed Jul-19-06 07:04 PM
considering that there's a huge market of folks that own g5 macs, it wouldn't make sense for any company to neglect that particular market.

G5's are not fossil units and apple will continue to sell g5's for a hot minute. Besides the fact that core duo's and g5's can run the same software as it is right now....

*edit: but I am debating on which new comp to get right now

g5 quad vs. macbook pro 17
11758, RE: dunno if i'd worry about g5's and compatibilty issues....
Posted by nicknice, Sat Jul-22-06 12:32 AM
not ALL the same software, they need to be universal binary.
11555, If I could just get one...desktop.
Posted by theMantheMyth, Wed Jul-19-06 06:55 PM
Easier to upgrade, and you get a lot more performance for your money than you would with a laptop. True, you lose portability, but for the two things I mentioned above, I'd take the trade-off, personally.

www.soul2020.com
www.myspace.com/chopsteak

avy: fresh beats chopped daily
11558, laptop
Posted by haji rana pinya, Wed Jul-19-06 07:36 PM
man i didnt even read your post but...

laptops can be hooked up POWERFUL right now

my laptop is 50% capacity right now and it is way more powerful then any desktop ive ever had

and you already have a monitor and shit so you can hook that up and never know that you werent on a desktop

and then if you want to..

you can make beats on the train

if cost isnt an issue i dont know why anyone would suggest a desktop over a laptop aside from cost
11588, RE: laptop
Posted by mc_delta_t, Thu Jul-20-06 12:30 AM
>if cost isnt an issue i dont know why anyone would suggest a
>desktop over a laptop aside from cost

custumization, upgradeability
11587, laptop will be more expensive, but more portable
Posted by danthrax, Thu Jul-20-06 12:28 AM
mac will be more efficient, but with less ability to fiddle around

my advice, when in doubt, go with what you know.
11592, You need to weigh in what you want to do...
Posted by beautifulboogieman, Thu Jul-20-06 02:11 AM
If you are planning on makng music like Hip Hop. And its only you, hence you will be recording max 2 tracks simultaneausly, then I would say go for the Laptop because of the portability.
But if you looking at recording alot of tracks and working with vst's and tons of effects for every track, then id go desktop.

Do you have an idea what program you are looking at?

Ableton live will work real nice on a laptop.

Whereas cubase sx3 with all the vsts would be better on a desktop.

11607, RE: You need to weigh in what you want to do...
Posted by buildingblock, Thu Jul-20-06 11:14 AM

>Whereas cubase sx3 with all the vsts would be better on a
>desktop.

this is prolly what i'll be usin', cubase and reason, and syncin' with my mpc...
would cubase run better on a mac or pc laptop?
11609, PC
Posted by danthrax, Thu Jul-20-06 11:34 AM
although if you paid a lot of dough, you could just as well run it on a laptop.

get lots of ram.
11764, RE: You need to weigh in what you want to do...
Posted by beautifulboogieman, Sat Jul-22-06 05:46 AM
well, if you are runnig cubase AND reason, then thats going to need quite a bit of cpu power and ram. Todays laptops can handle that, but a PC wont be strained by that type of number crunshing... And will be easy and cheaper to upgrade.
11622, mac LAPTOP, ableton live, reaktor, kontakt, peak, and coupla midi controllers
Posted by Allah, Thu Jul-20-06 12:42 PM
there you go.
11730, RE: laptop vs desktop....what do you recommend to record music on?
Posted by TheNewAddiction, Fri Jul-21-06 02:38 PM
If you go desktop route and are concerned about portability, rack mount your desktop. You could also throw your other gear in there if you need to move on the fly. Pop wheels on that sucker and it's easy on the back. It isn't too expensive to do, espsecially if you have the budget to splurge on a g4/g5.
11742, short answer:
Posted by con one, Fri Jul-21-06 04:46 PM
the short answer is: desktop... because it's easier to use PCI cards, etc...
however, if you don't need easy upgradability, pci support, etc... it almost doesn't matter

::con?one::
www.conone.net
www.myspace.com/conone
11746, G5 Here
Posted by Tom and Jerry, Fri Jul-21-06 05:13 PM
No real problems, maybe with fan noise
11757, Ampex 456 2" tape
Posted by Selassie I God, Sat Jul-22-06 12:00 AM
Damn, I'm old
12010, especially since ampex went under years ago =P
Posted by con one, Wed Jul-26-06 11:27 AM

::con?one::
www.conone.net
www.myspace.com/conone
13510, It Depends....
Posted by the_vision, Thu Aug-17-06 11:43 PM
what you want if you want portability with the power of a desktop get a desktop replacment type but if you got a lot of dough you can custom build a monster rig....im content with my Toshiba notebook i bought about a month ago alot better than my old pc(the pC was kind of new still) only thing the PC has over my notebook is the HD-180 gigs compared to 120
13520, RE: laptop vs desktop....what do you recommend to record music on?
Posted by loudiggy, Fri Aug-18-06 02:47 AM
Check out "Laptop Music" by Martin Delaney, in which he covers the current available hardware and software options for creating electronic music (recording, editing & composition) on a laptop.

link:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/1870775899/