Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectselective commentary
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=99755&mesg_id=99869
99869, selective commentary
Posted by colonelk, Thu Jan-28-10 02:05 PM
>1. In the Mood For Love (Wong Kar-wai)

It's a masterpiece of style and atmosphere. I expect this to hit the top 5 in the final standings.

>4. The Assassination of Jesse James

I still don't understand the love for this one. It's Malick-lite grafted on a very familiar tale. I guess I just prefer the more direct Sam Fuller version of this story.

>5. Domestic Violence (Frederick Wiseman)

Wiseman is probably our best documentarian. More than any other, you lose yourself in the material and never perceive an authorial agenda.

>11. The Best of Youth (Marco Tullio Giordana)

I though this stunk. One of the few films I've ever walked out of. Contrived, unconvincing emotions, silly Forrest Gump-esque waltz through history. The Weinsteins bet the farm on it and lost big--part of the reason they are no longer running Miramax.

>18. Three Times (Hou Hsiao-hsien)

This is a great, great film. The third chapter rings a little bit false with its over-emphasis of all that's wrong with "kids these days" (over-medicated, over-sexed, non-commital, text-crazy, etc.).

>28. Nobody Knows (Hirokazu Kore-eda)
>(Don't watch this with children.)

Bears repeating: Do NOT watch this with children.

>29. Revanche (Gotz Spielmann)

This never seemed like more than a clever exercise. Like a first draft of a Haneke film.

>32. What Time Is It There? (Tsai Ming-liang)

Probably Tsai's most accessible film, no?

>33. Goodbye, Dragon Inn (Tsai Ming-liang)

The opposite of above.