Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: 25th Hour
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=9906&mesg_id=9921
9921, RE: 25th Hour
Posted by actualfact, Mon Mar-24-03 04:20 PM
>Yes, it has staying power. Not so much the plot -- the
>"thriller" aspect of the film fell a little flat or wasn't
>pursued hard enough -- but the love/hate push/pull
>relationship with the city. Some of the images were
>frighteningly powerful.
>
>Thank God for Spike Lee. I never would have even considered
>seeing this film had he not directed. But what's up with
>the Disney connection? Is it just me, or is that weird?

Again, I agree. The thriller aspect was almost an after thought. Thriller subplots usually don't work well. That definately was the weakest thing about the film and was not surprisingly the main aspect around which the film was sold.

What got me was the Brian Cox monologue. I've never cried like that at a film ever. It took me a good ten minutes after the film to get myself under control to the point where i could go into the store for a pack of smokes (i'm working on quitting now..doing great!). That monologue, although pacing was just beautiful. His performance was what held the film's acting together although Barry Pepper got the raves and attention for his flashier role. And Norton to me was Ed Norton playing Monty Brogan. I just couldn't fully buy him.

The film has its flaws no doubt, but its success..egads!

And thank god for Spike is right. He had the balls to make a film grounded in this post 9/11 world in which we live. He is one of the most honest, innovative, passionate and accomplished filmmakers of this generation and it's tough seeing him not get his due. especially for this film which, in my mind, is his best since X.

sorry...i went off

What Disney connection?