Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectIs M. Night Shalayman's career officially over?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=97444
97444, Is M. Night Shalayman's career officially over?
Posted by Corey_Atherley, Sat Jun-14-08 07:51 PM
Now that we've all seen his atrocious new movie The Happening?
And yes, it's called "The Happening", which rightfully deserves it's title because with no plot and emotionless acting I wasn't really sure what the fuck was "happening".

I swear I don't know how many times I laughed out loud more than I was actually frightened by this corny, preachy, eco-friendly, after school special of what was supposedly or intended to be a horror movie.

So, this brings me to an all important question: should we all give give M. Night Shalayman another chance to redeem himself? Or should we officially resign from wasting our hard earned money watching his movies all together?

97445, i like M. Night Shalayman's movies
Posted by Nettrice, Sat Jun-14-08 08:01 PM
they're different in a good way. i'll let Ebert explain why:

"If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live."
-- Albert Einstein

By Roger Ebert

An alarming prospect, and all the more so because there has been a recent decline in the honeybee population. Perhaps it is comforting to know that Einstein never said any such thing -- less comforting, of course, for the bees. The quotation appears on a blackboard near the beginning of M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening," a movie that I find oddly touching. It is no doubt too thoughtful for the summer action season, but I appreciate the quietly realistic way Shyamalan finds to tell a story about the possible death of man.

One day in Central Park, people start to lose their trains of thought. They begin walking backward. They start killing themselves. This behavior spreads through Manhattan, and then all of the Northeast. Construction workers throw themselves from scaffolds. Policeman shoot themselves. The deaths are blamed on a "terrorist attack," but in fact no one has the slightest clue, and New York City is evacuated.

We meet Elliot Moore (Mark Wahlberg), a Philadelphia high school science teacher; the quote was on his blackboard. We meet his wife, Alma (Zooey Deschanel); his friend, Julian (John Leguizamo), and Julian's daughter, Jess (Ashlyn Sanchez). They find themselves fleeing on a train to Harrisburg, Pa., although people learn from their cell phones that the plague, or whatever it is, may have jumped ahead of them.

Now consider how Shyamalan shows the exodus from Philadelphia. He avoids all the conventional scenes of riots in the train station, people killing Philadelphia, not New York, and shows the population as quiet and apprehensive. If you don't know what you're fleeing, how would you behave? Like this, I suspect.

Julian entrusts his daughter to Elliot and Alma, and goes in search of his wife. The train stops -- permanently -- at a town. The three hitch a ride in a stranger's car, and later meet others who are fleeing, from what or to what, they do not know. Elliot meets a man who talks about a way plants have of creating hormones to kill their enemies, and he develops a half-baked theory that man may have finally delivered too many insults to the grasses and the shrubs, the flowers and the trees, and their revenge is in the wind.

By now the three are trekking cross-country through Pennsylvania, joined by two young boys, who they will eventually lose. They walk on, the wind moaning ominously behind them, and come to the isolated country home of Mrs. Jones (Betty Buckley), a very odd old lady. Here they eat and spend the night and other events take place, and Elliot and Alma find an opportunity to discuss their love and reveal some secrets and speculate about what dread manifestation has overtaken the world.

Too uneventful for you? Not enough action? For me, Shyamalan's approach is more effective than smash-and-grab plot-mongering. His use of the landscape is disturbingly effective. The performances by Wahlberg and Deschanel bring a quiet dignity to their characters. The strangeness of starting a day in New York and ending it by hiking across a country field is underlined. Most of the other people we meet, not all, are muted and introspective. Had they been half-expecting some such "event" as this?

I know I have. For some time the thought has been gathering at the back of my mind that we are in the final act. We have finally insulted the planet so much that it can no longer sustain us. It is exhausted. It never occurred to me that vegetation might exterminate us. In fact, the form of the planet's revenge remains undefined in my thoughts, although I have read of rising sea levels and the ends of species.

What I admire about "The Happening" is that its pace and substance allowed me to examine such thoughts, and to ask how I might respond to a wake-up call from nature. Shyamalan allows his characters space and time as they look within themselves. Those they meet on the way are such as they might indeed plausibly meet. Even the TV and radio news is done correctly, as convenient cliches about terrorism give way to bewilderment and apprehension.

I suspect I'll be in the minority in praising this film. It will be described as empty, uneventful, meandering. But for some, it will weave a spell. It is a parable, yes, but it is also simply the story of these people and how their lives and existence have suddenly become problematic. We depend on such a superstructure to maintain us that one or two alterations could leave us stranded and wandering through a field, if we are that lucky."
97446, RE: i like M. Night Shalayman's movies
Posted by Corey_Atherley, Sat Jun-14-08 08:12 PM
Yeah, I'm surprised Ebert actually liked this heap of a mess- because even Mark Walhberg's good looks couldn't save the bad acting. To better clarify myself, the plot would've been more effective had there have been better actors. Because for the most part, the terrible acting sucked the life out of this movie for me. And what was some of these downright unnecessary moments in the film such as the old couple who kept asking Eliot and Alma if they liked hotdogs? LOL. This movie had me in stitches because I already knew it wasn't going anywhere. Also, the movie felt as though it was just fast-pacing itself and not giving viewers the opportunity to know or understand what's going on- or even relate to the characters. The only good that came out of this movie was the landscape and the cinematography. That's one subject I agree with Ebert on.
97447, i saw it today and still agree with Ebert on the "B" rating
Posted by Nettrice, Sun Jun-15-08 03:10 PM
my old pal Leguizamo was great and the peculiar-ness of the characters only made the movie more entertaining...like a fairy tale

>such as the old couple who kept asking
>Eliot and Alma if they liked hotdogs? LOL.

the fact that i so easily recognized the older man from O'Brother Where Art Thou? surprised me

>the movie felt as though it was just fast-pacing itself
>and not giving viewers the opportunity to know or understand
>what's going on- or even relate to the characters

i kinda didn't want to relate
97448, B Movies don't cost $57 mil
Posted by Mr Mech, Tue Jun-17-08 05:27 PM
You can forgive a lot of shit in a film when it's made on the cheap. You can't forgive much when a film that only has a few hundred extras, some grass and a big fan, costs $57 million.

Mech
97449, ^^^that's pretty much how i feel too...
Posted by al_sharp, Sat Jun-14-08 09:10 PM
i liked it...i know it's gonna get a shitload of hate but fuck it...his movies usually do...shit i STILL hear people bitch about 'the village'...which i thought was genius.

all his movies remind me of long episodes of 'the twilight zone'...some are better than others but no matter what they're all still pretty cool.

http://myspace.com/shamelessplug
http://myspace.com/phamelessslug
http://zshare.net/download/11585755fa712f28
http://zshare.net/download/11585294b1a8eb45
http://phameless.blogspot.com
http://whitegirlslovejohnblake.blogspot.com
97450, RE: ^^^that's pretty much how i feel too...
Posted by Iwasmadeto, Sat Jun-14-08 10:44 PM
agreed. not one of his movies i can hate on...but thats just me
97451, the village sucked
Posted by Rjcc, Sun Jun-15-08 01:22 AM
by the time you find out its modern day, you don't give a fuck what's happening to the characters anymore because they're all fucking boring.

FREE CHAI VANG!

YOU'VE READ MY FILE NIGGA (c) Jack 'Mufuckin' Bauer

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
97452, I was just mad because I figured this out like 30 minutes in
Posted by Smetana, Mon Jun-16-08 08:25 AM
nm
97453, Its official: Ebert's illness has taken an effect on his brain
Posted by rdhull, Sat Jun-14-08 11:59 PM
97454, do we really hate m. night that much? is that nescessary?
Posted by Basaglia, Sun Jun-15-08 12:01 AM
97455, who hates him? or his films? Ebert propping that madness
Posted by rdhull, Sun Jun-15-08 04:07 PM
is a trip//that's all

now if he comes up with another that isn't silly as he has ben batting lately Ill give props
97456, okp has taken an effect on YOUR brain
Posted by Nettrice, Sun Jun-15-08 03:06 PM
>
97457, RE: i like M. Night Shalayman's movies
Posted by MiZmOuF, Mon Jun-16-08 06:17 PM
!
97458, As far as I'm concerned
Posted by soopabruva1, Sat Jun-14-08 08:01 PM
It was over after The Village. I havent watched a movie of his since.
97459, all 1 of em???
Posted by Ceej, Sat Jun-14-08 08:22 PM
97460, Yup
Posted by soopabruva1, Mon Jun-16-08 05:16 PM
But there were two actually.
97461, cool
Posted by Ceej, Mon Jun-16-08 05:18 PM
97462, 3
Posted by gumz, Tue Jul-24-12 09:57 PM
97463, I did not like this movie
Posted by KingMonte, Sat Jun-14-08 08:28 PM
At least it was free.
97464, oh you've gotta be fucking shitting me
Posted by Rjcc, Sat Jun-14-08 09:07 PM
http://www.themoviespoiler.com/Spoilers/thehappening.html

that's the worst piece of shit story ever written ever

FREE CHAI VANG!

YOU'VE READ MY FILE NIGGA (c) Jack 'Mufuckin' Bauer

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
97465, ^^^too cool for school
Posted by Basaglia, Sat Jun-14-08 10:49 PM
97466, I wanted so much to like this movie, sorry Basaglia
Posted by SammyJankis, Sun Jun-15-08 03:16 AM
but honestly it was horrible. the premise was okay in theory but the execution was terrible. it was just okay at best. something that a first time film director would be able to get away with but not a so called pro like m. knight. so many plot holes, bad acting, bad direction, lack of suspense, no real conclusion, it just wasn't very good.

SPOILERS

ok if it was supposedly plants and trees causeing this. why does it come in the most random of scenes of some hot dog loving, tree hugging hippies? and why was that premise so widely accepted by everybody?

no real explanation. i understand that it was foreshadowed in the very beginning that some things in nature happen and we can never really understand it but this was just like a big WTF?! and not in a good way

there was no reason that this movie should have been rated r and for the studio to market it as such like it was a big deal that he finally made a rated r movie is misleading. the depiction of suicide might be strong if he actually showed it, knight himself in his promos made mention of some of the disturbing imagery that you would see but the actual movie didn't really show much at all, but you hear a lot.

the only cool tense scene in my opinion was the one where the two teenagers got it, that was fucked up but they brought it on themselves.

-fin-

Like I said I wanted to like it and I probably would have if it was some no name and not M. Knight and he hadn't hyped it up as some big media event. I'll have to give it a D- at best.
97467, RE: I wanted so much to like this movie, sorry Basaglia
Posted by Corey_Atherley, Sun Jun-15-08 06:59 AM
^^^^^^^^^ AGREED
97468, RE: I wanted so much to like this movie, sorry Basaglia
Posted by Corey_Atherley, Sun Jun-15-08 07:04 AM
Like I said, the poor execution and bad acting ruined it. I'm a fan of M. Night's earlier movies, but let's keep it real. This movie SUCKED.
97469, poor direction
Posted by lfresh, Mon Jun-16-08 10:50 AM
>Like I said, the poor execution and bad acting ruined it.
>I'm a fan of M. Night's earlier movies, but let's keep it
>real. This movie SUCKED.

wahlberg does fine apparently with the right direction
zooey and leguizamo as well
it's been proven
so the blame has to be on the director
M. Night

he had all the elements
but it lacked cohesion
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

http://unodostres.etsy.com

http://playvicious.com/
97470, don't apologize to me...apologize to yourself for not knowing genius
Posted by Basaglia, Sun Jun-15-08 10:06 AM
97471, you mean like how you recognized Isiah's genius as a GM?
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sun Jun-15-08 11:40 AM
97472, but see, according to Basa, Isiah didn't fail
Posted by B9, Sun Jun-15-08 04:05 PM
because he still got paid...or something...
97473, no, i mean how i'm recognized for making people mad
Posted by Basaglia, Sun Jun-15-08 06:33 PM

numbers don't lie
97474, oh, that's indisputable
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sun Jun-15-08 06:58 PM
but that wasn't the issue

>numbers don't lie

neither was this
97475, we just don't agree
Posted by Basaglia, Sun Jun-15-08 07:10 PM
97476, I agree.
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Tue Jun-17-08 01:04 PM

97477, well damn!
Posted by SammyJankis, Sun Jun-15-08 11:58 AM
97478, FACT: He's the most bankable writer/director working today.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Jun-15-08 09:50 AM
Let me be clear. I've thought all his work post-Signs was shit. I haven't seen Happening.

But cmon.

His films make their money back, or at bare minimum come very very close to it.

He is a recognizable name. People take notice when they hear about a new M. Night flick.

The day his career is over is the day people stop going to see his next flick. Which doesn't appear to be anytime soon.

Not many writer/directors in Hollywood can do whatever they want with their flicks, and still attract attention and make money. Night's really the only one who can consistently do that right now, unless I'm mistaken and am forgetting someone.
97479, Lady in the Water bombed
Posted by THRILLHOUSE, Sun Jun-15-08 10:25 AM
only made 42 million while its budget was 75 million. I don't think Happening will do well in the box office either but at least its budget is only 57 million so it will have a better chance of making its money back.
97480, Know how he got that $75 million budget?
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Jun-15-08 10:37 AM
Because all of his films before that made their money back.

He is generally a bankable director. Only one misstep monetarily speaking. Unless The Happening REALLY declines in Week 2, it will make its money back too.

Look, again, I've hated his last two films, and The Happening doesn't seem like my cup of tea. But his career is FAAAAAAR from over, lol.
97481, Made it back in foreign markets.
Posted by Basaglia, Sun Jun-15-08 10:54 AM
can't say that for grindhouse.
97482, Waterworld made its money back in foreign markets too. n/m
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sun Jun-15-08 12:14 PM
97483, Waterworld wasn't a bomb. Grindhouse was
Posted by Basaglia, Sun Jun-15-08 02:35 PM
97484, yes it was. so was Lady In The Water
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sun Jun-15-08 02:51 PM
and I don't care about Grindhouse.
97485, Numbers lie?
Posted by Basaglia, Sun Jun-15-08 03:44 PM
97486, nope. if a movie only makes back half its budget in domestic gross
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sun Jun-15-08 03:52 PM
it's a bomb.
97487, Fair enough...one bomb
Posted by Basaglia, Sun Jun-15-08 04:18 PM
97488, ... well, Lucas.
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sun Jun-15-08 12:05 PM
>Not many writer/directors in Hollywood can do whatever they
>want with their flicks, and still attract attention and make
>money. Night's really the only one who can consistently do
>that right now, unless I'm mistaken and am forgetting
>someone.

but he's not even really a part of hollywood anymore, he's basically an industry unto himself.

>The day his career is over is the day people stop going to see
>his next flick. Which doesn't appear to be anytime soon.

well with all the negative buzz for the Happening, it might just be his next one.

97489, short list
Posted by B9, Sun Jun-15-08 04:18 PM

>Not many writer/directors in Hollywood can do whatever they
>want with their flicks, and still attract attention and make
>money. Night's really the only one who can consistently do
>that right now, unless I'm mistaken and am forgetting
>someone.

The Coens, Steven Soderbergh, Clint Eastwood, Christopher Nolan...highly likely that Wes Anderson, Spike Jonze, Alfonso Cuaron, and Guillermo del Toro could be equally money making if they turned off their desire to make good movies and just went for cash cows. It's a really good sign of how shitty Sham is regarded that he's NEVER kicked around as possible writer/director for a franchise rights project ala Nolan and Batman, del Toro and Hobbit, Jonze and Wildthings, etc...
97490, Longo can't shock post good yet
Posted by cereffusion, Mon Jun-16-08 03:24 PM

–––––––––––––
Julio Lugo is a fantastic shortstop, a wonderful human being, and I wish he was my real dad.
97491, lol
Posted by DrNO, Mon Jun-16-08 07:16 PM
97492, RE: short list
Posted by CMcMurtry, Mon Jun-16-08 05:52 PM
>It's a really good sign of how shitty Sham
>is regarded that he's NEVER kicked around as possible
>writer/director for a franchise rights project ala Nolan and
>Batman, del Toro and Hobbit, Jonze and Wildthings, etc...

Isn't that Avatar deal a franchise?
97493, yep, i was jus bout to say that.
Posted by araQual, Tue Jun-17-08 02:08 AM
he's directing three live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender movies (taken from the cartoon).

V.
97494, Shyamalan has outgrossed the majority of the folks you named.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jun-17-08 08:25 AM
I know they make better movies. I'm talking about the gross.

Don't turn this feud you have with Bags into some illogical shit.
97495, anger makes people illogical
Posted by Basaglia, Tue Jun-17-08 08:27 AM
97496, Like calling The Happening "masterful movie making"?
Posted by B9, Tue Jun-17-08 01:10 PM
97497, Spielberg, Raimi, Bay, Nolan
Posted by DrNO, Sun Jun-15-08 04:28 PM
Apatow, Jackson, Singer, Cameron, Peter Berg, Ang Lee and anyone at Pixar. All have more talent (not a big feat) and are less of a liability.

Then there are the Len Wiseman, guy who made Saw, Friedberg and Seltzer's of the world.

Manoj is more on a Brett Ratner or Stephen Sommers level. But with less business savy.
97498, you on crack with this statement
Posted by kayru99, Mon Jun-16-08 07:06 PM

>Manoj is more on a Brett Ratner or Stephen Sommers level. But
>with less business savy.

Unbreakable and 6th sense alone kinda shit on this idea
97499, Red Dragon is watchable
Posted by DrNO, Mon Jun-16-08 07:07 PM
and Unbreakable is garbage.
97500, i'd disagree wholeheartedly with unbreakable
Posted by kayru99, Mon Jun-16-08 07:23 PM
but let's say i grant that.

Brett Ratner has nothing as dope as 6th sense in him, at all.

He's like the autopilot director for franchise films that just need a monkey to point the camera
97501, and Manoj has a really diversified portfolio?
Posted by DrNO, Mon Jun-16-08 07:32 PM
97502, writer/director/producer requires way more skill/talent
Posted by kayru99, Mon Jun-16-08 08:18 PM
than turn on camera and let chris tucker/jacke chan do their thing.

I mean you can say you don't like ol' boy's films, and i'll disagree, and KIM...but to say he's on the level of brett ratner is just some petty bullshit..or, hate, if you will

97503, some people here need to understand the term "writer/director"
Posted by REDeye, Mon Jun-16-08 05:10 PM
When was the last time Spielberg was the credited writer on a movie?

And, while you're at it, look up bankable as well. Coens movies don't make a lot of money. No Country was by far their biggest financial success.

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com
97504, he is an auteur though
Posted by DrNO, Mon Jun-16-08 07:15 PM
when do you think was the last time he took on a script and felt he had to color within the lines?

Has Manoj ever written anything on the level of Close Encounters? has he written a better supernatural movie than Poltergeist? No.
97505, when was the last time ANY director did?
Posted by REDeye, Tue Jun-17-08 12:28 AM
>when do you think was the last time he took on a script and
>felt he had to color within the lines?

Spielberg can write and would be the greatest writer/director working today, if he did it officially.

When you talk about writer/directors, you aren't talking about people who don't originate their own scripts, even if the come up with the idea and dictate it to a typist.

RED
97506, RE: some people here need to understand the term "writer/director"
Posted by josephmurf2384, Tue Jun-17-08 08:24 AM
Coen movies become Cult Followings and lend to huge aftermarket numbers and constant TV runnings. The new Coen movie looks absolutely Sick, Clooney and Pitt on some shenanigan shit, gonna be awesome.
97507, ^^^ read my statement, drew logical conclusion
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jun-17-08 08:26 AM
97508, No his career isn't over but I wouldn't be surprised if he lost
Posted by calij81, Sun Jun-15-08 11:29 AM
some of his control over the direction of his movies and saw his budgets start to shrink a bit.

All the things he railed against Disney over with Lady in the Water will start happening more often for his future movies.
97509, No it's not and I don't even like his recent movies
Posted by Marauder21, Sun Jun-15-08 01:41 PM
Far as I'm concerned he hasn't made anything worthwhile since Unbreakable. But he's still one of the biggest names in directing, and with the exception of Lady In The Water they're all commercially successful.

Why would his career be over? Because he makes shitty movies that critics don't like? If that were career suicide, Adam Sandler would have never had a career.
97510, RE: No it's not and I don't even like his recent movies
Posted by MiZmOuF, Mon Jun-16-08 06:16 PM
no
97511, RE: Is M. Night Shalayman's career officially over?
Posted by MiZmOuF, Sun Jun-15-08 04:05 PM
His movies were always gay-think about it
Unbreakable
The Sixth Sense
Lady In The Water
Signs
all homoerotic "thrillers"
97512, what a load of CRAP
Posted by Nettrice, Sun Jun-15-08 04:07 PM
>
97513, RE: what a load of CRAP
Posted by MiZmOuF, Mon Jun-16-08 06:03 PM
no
97514, Stop posting
Posted by Marauder21, Sun Jun-15-08 05:59 PM
97515, RE: Stop posting
Posted by MiZmOuF, Mon Jun-16-08 06:03 PM
no
97516, I dont get it
Posted by Ceej, Mon Jun-16-08 08:30 AM
97517, RE: I dont get it
Posted by MiZmOuF, Mon Jun-16-08 06:04 PM
i know
97518, wha?
Posted by lfresh, Mon Jun-16-08 10:48 AM

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

97519, RE: wha?
Posted by MiZmOuF, Mon Jun-16-08 06:04 PM
yeah
97520, Haven't seen it, but...
Posted by ajiav, Sun Jun-15-08 04:11 PM
...I will probably take a flop from M. Knight over a lot of other films; generally, I think a flawed work by an auteur type is still interesting on some level. I know not everyone agrees, but I am happy that he is at least one director who seems to enjoy a slow unfolding of ideas and a more meditative pace.

To be clear, this doesn't mean I am signing on a movie I haven't seen, and it doesn't mean I think he's perfect. But I like and respect his work.
97521, Not even close
Posted by DrNO, Sun Jun-15-08 04:24 PM
but anyone with a brain should realize that he stinks at this point.

Studios will cut back on using his name as a marketing tool if they're smart, as much as his contracts allow anyways.

I wonder what percentage of the gross he takes. He might have to cut that back if he wants big budgets anymore.

I'd really like to know what the marketing budget is on his flicks. People always forget that those gigantic numbers aren't in the budget. They're probably especially huge on his junk.
97522, I thought The Happening was coming out next week.
Posted by rorschach, Sun Jun-15-08 04:27 PM
I could've sworn that I saw June 20th on the posters.
---------------------------------------
The OKP® King of the Late Pass™

methamphoria.blogspot.com

http://i31.tinypic.com/4iehdd.jpg
97523, nope, it Happened.
Posted by REDeye, Mon Jun-16-08 06:35 PM
>I could've sworn that I saw June 20th on the posters.
>---------------------------------------
>The OKP® King of the Late Pass™
>
>methamphoria.blogspot.com
>
>http://i31.tinypic.com/4iehdd.jpg

RED
97524, I'm watching a bootleg copy on the internet for free & I'm STILL mad
Posted by MistaGoodBar, Sun Jun-15-08 04:55 PM
this is the dumbest shit I have ever seen
97525, This was a terrible, terrible movie
Posted by Midtown Records, Sun Jun-15-08 05:57 PM
I just got finished watching it with my dad for Father's Day. I thought certain parts were cool but overall it sucked.
97526, And "The Incredible Hulk" was way better
Posted by Midtown Records, Sun Jun-15-08 05:58 PM
despite what people might say.
97527, RE: And "The Incredible Hulk" was way better
Posted by JMD, Mon Jun-16-08 07:02 PM
I had to make up with 12 Monkeys. I felt rejuvenated.
97528, He could always do tv like on some "Tales from the Darkside" shit
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Sun Jun-15-08 06:32 PM
97529, he already is..and the audience pays $10 for it
Posted by rdhull, Mon Jun-16-08 06:38 PM
97530, not really
Posted by lfresh, Mon Jun-16-08 10:22 AM
maybe he should start making movies for showtime

dunno the quality of the movies there's elemnets missing for the big screen

that may work for the small screen
por ejemplo

i saw the village and lady/lake at home
i was fine with them

i saw signs and now the happening in the theatre
and there was something missing
it simply didn't work for me
but i think it may have if it was on cable
~~~~
~~~~

97531, Nope, he's doing Avatar
Posted by Clovis, Mon Jun-16-08 10:25 AM
The last airbender movies.

gonna be a trilogy and he will be working with the 2 creators on this project. Bryan Konietzko was my illustration teachers best friend last year and so we all had the inside scoop on certain Avatar happenings, such as this. Although it's pretty out in the open now.
97532, I can't wait for the twist either....SAAKKA is the last airbender!!!
Posted by MANHOODLUM, Mon Jun-16-08 10:45 AM
Not Ang!!!

97533, RE: Nope, he's doing Avatar
Posted by Xibalba, Mon Jun-16-08 03:11 PM
i noticed the girl at the end had an avatar backpack on
97534, I actually thought it's a GREAT premise
Posted by MANHOODLUM, Mon Jun-16-08 10:47 AM
kind've like Night of the Living/Dawn of the Dead type scary, but without the zombies you can see...

I'm not a reader to that extent, but am I the only one who thinks this could've made a great book?
97535, yep
Posted by lfresh, Mon Jun-16-08 10:52 AM
wahlberg, leguizamo and zooey all had potential as well
this could have been hitchcock type great

but it fell flat and was missing too much
~~~~
~~~~

97536, RE: The Happening
Posted by maternalbliss, Mon Jun-16-08 10:59 AM
Better than M. Night's last three efforts. It really had some suspenseful moments but it is in no way a *comeback*
Grade C+

As for his career, naw. He will always generate some interest.
Just needs better storylines for his movies.
97537, Not until he's ruined Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Posted by Mongo, Mon Jun-16-08 03:34 PM
97538, Night needs to do a "make good" to make up for THE HAPPENING
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Jun-16-08 04:47 PM
Unbreakable 2 would suffice.

And for shitty acting, Wahlberg's make good should be that he has to open a few dates on the NKOTB comeback tour, and reunite the Funky Bunch.
97539, Maybe, maybe not, maybe fuck yourself
Posted by Ceej, Mon Jun-16-08 05:12 PM
97540, RE: Is M. Night Shalayman's career officially over?
Posted by MiZmOuF, Mon Jun-16-08 06:34 PM
Marauder 21 loves melodramas about ghosts,mermaids,and crop circles
97541, RE: Is M. Night Shalayman's career officially over?
Posted by JMD, Mon Jun-16-08 06:59 PM
I am one of the very few who have liked all of M. Night's previous films. I really wanted to like this film but it was terrible. It was sloppy. The acting was jilted and forced. It's like they got the script and was like "WTF?!? I hope this works..." I loved the idea. I really did. If it was executed better, it would've scarred the bejesus out of me, the idea alone. But it wasn't and it didn't. My father told me(this was his father's day present....shitty right?) that the movie seemed like it was more about the married couple's relationship than the "happening". I told him that I could see that but we really didnt get any sort of idea of who these people were and what they're relationship was about. You have this idiosyncratic chick and this whiny dude going through the motions and there are little things that happen that are suppose to be cute or funny and they are not because they are strangers to the audience. I really really really wanted to like this film. But it was terrible.
97542, he makes fables/adult fairy tales
Posted by kayru99, Mon Jun-16-08 07:10 PM
each with a slightly different tone.

Happening wasn't great, but i wasn't mad at it. I think the marketing for a lot of his films kinda sucks, tho, cuz this movie is in no way a horror film.

Why would his career be over?

You know how many people have made far far far worse movies that didn't make a profit?
97543, i agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY
Posted by Nettrice, Tue Jun-17-08 07:52 AM
>
97544, Still better than Tarantino
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Jun-16-08 07:23 PM

Mad?

----------------------------

O_E: Your Super-Ego's Favorite Poster.

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "Cosmic Slop"
97545, 10 years ago, these same bitches woulda said QT better than Spike
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Jun-16-08 07:46 PM

and that's the realest shit i ever wrote...today
97546, They all know Spike won the Spike vs QT debacle.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Jun-16-08 08:45 PM
I mean, give me Inside Man, 25th Hour and
When the Levees broke over QTs entire catalogue.
(and I mean shit that QT done and will EVER do...
...QT done peaked out)

There's just no comparison in terms of talent
or accomplishments

QTs reputation has taken a dive off a cliff

Spike is spitting truth serum at clint eastwood
about to drop a movie so good the academy might
have to stop being bitter bitches and recognize

O_E: Your Super-Ego's Favorite Poster.

(C)Keith Murray, "Cosmic Slop"
97547, Was this really an argument?
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Jun-16-08 11:29 PM
I mean... I like me some Tarantino, but dag... was anyone really reppin' Quentin over Spike? On this board nonetheless.
97548, BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Posted by illadelphgurl, Tue Jun-17-08 01:12 AM
LOLZ OMGZ

97549, less racist /= better
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Tue Jun-17-08 01:12 PM
at least as far as moviemaking goes.
97550, Manoj will be fine.
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Jun-16-08 08:38 PM
Even if he becomes persona non grata on the directing tip, he'll always get writing work on other people's projects, aka become a script doctor
Posted by Nukkapedia, Tue Jun-17-08 05:10 AM
took me out of my world. I woke up, suddenly I just woke up, to "The Happening".

(sorry; every time I see this movie mentioned, I think of the Supremes song - which was the theme to _another_ movie called "The Happening" - instead)
97552, At least I gotta few good laughs in while watching this film.
Posted by queenisisdivine, Tue Jun-17-08 04:40 PM
>Now that we've all seen his atrocious new movie The
>Happening?
>And yes, it's called "The Happening", which rightfully
>deserves it's title because with no plot and emotionless
>acting I wasn't really sure what the fuck was "happening".
>
> I swear I don't know how many times I laughed out loud more
>than I was actually frightened by this corny, preachy,
>eco-friendly, after school special of what was supposedly or
>intended to be a horror movie.
>
>So, this brings me to an all important question: should we all
>give give M. Night Shalayman another chance to redeem himself?
>Or should we officially resign from wasting our hard earned
>money watching his movies all together?
>
>

www.flickr.com/photos/auracle-photos/sets/72157603294509853 <--- The Collection
97553, I liked the Happening and enjoy most of his work.
Posted by Raised under Reagan, Tue Jun-17-08 06:41 PM

What's the bum kiss?
97554, I Liked It
Posted by Rajeniro757, Tue Jun-17-08 07:54 PM
not scary but it had it's moments
97555, No its not over, because he has an audience and Im sorry but
Posted by 6_1_flo, Mon Jun-23-08 04:51 PM
"The Happening" isn't as bad as critics are making it out to be. I personally don't think it shoulda cost him 60 Million to make, but it was decent, slow in spots, but the movie made me wanna hold my breath, literally, lol. I just hope that "The Last Air-bender" is a Smash for him, which I read an interview that he's banking on to happen.
97556, wow this bad. I was hoping against hope, but damn
Posted by calminvasion, Sat Oct-11-08 01:10 AM
the dialogue is on some other shit
97557, WOW.
Posted by xbenzive, Mon Oct-13-08 12:37 PM

I Like it, but I actually watched this before I watched the movie:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/37753/saturday-night-live-mark-wahlberg-talks-to-animals#s-p1-st-i0

So it kinda made the movie into a comedy.

Either way, I lik it. Something different. M. Night Shyamalan goes good in my book. His directing is great, the music was good. The Dialog can be better, and the acting of Mark Wahlberg is just average. It wasn't too gruesome also.

:)

we pray for dollars and we work for change © Slug of Atmosphere
97558, GENIUS!!!!
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Oct-13-08 01:26 PM
97559, Say hi to your mother for me.
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Oct-13-08 01:52 PM
97560, okay, but i'm fairly certain my mother doesn't know you
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Oct-13-08 01:54 PM
97561, maybe CaptNish is a big tipper?
Posted by shockzilla, Mon Oct-13-08 02:39 PM
97562, maybe your brow would make a great bookshelf
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Oct-13-08 05:01 PM
97563, and yet maybe i don't pay at all.
Posted by shockzilla, Mon Oct-13-08 05:04 PM
97564, I'm sure she doesn't. I was just quoting the sketch?
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Oct-13-08 06:48 PM
I'm so confused. But I do tip well...
97565, Holy. Fucking... Shit!
Posted by FrankEinstein, Mon Oct-13-08 04:40 PM
I've watched that clip 3 times now and have sent it to more than a couple of friends that will appreciate the hell out of it.

Goddamn hilarity.

Nice link, man, thanks.
97566, http://www.thelonelyisland.com/
Posted by xbenzive, Mon Oct-13-08 06:31 PM

if you didn't know.

:)

we pray for dollars and we work for change © Slug of Atmosphere
97567, RE: Is M. Night Shalayman's career officially over?
Posted by ILL FLOW, Wed Oct-15-08 12:50 PM
He's always been SHIT to me. I always clown his work and people treat me like a red-headed step child
97568, no, because people are STILL talking about him
Posted by jetblack, Wed Oct-15-08 05:45 PM
he's doing Avatar: The Last Airbender.

He's working.

Working is good.

:P

he has plenty of time to redeem himself
97569, Honestly, if M. Night was going for a b movie, he succeeded
Posted by SoulHonky, Wed Oct-15-08 11:43 PM
It wasn't as over the top as Planet Terror but the film was absolutely hilarious which made it almost entertaining. I still think it's one of the worst films of the year but it's like Knight Rider; it isn't good but I wish people would watch it so we could laugh about it.

I wouldn't be stunned if The Happening became a camp midnight movie classic in the future. It's that silly.
97570, Yes, M. Knight has officially fallen off
Posted by professor, Thu Oct-16-08 03:39 PM
The Sixth Sense: Masterpiece!
Unbreakable: Very Good (esp. for comic book fans)
Signs: Good (great story, perfect use of suspense)

The Village: Bad (My girl figured out the "trick" 20 mins in)
The Lady in the Lake: Terrible (so uninteresting)

The Happening: Didn't see it (don't waste my motherfuckin time Knight!)

Unless he puts out a movie and a bunch of people I know tell me the shit is good . . . I'm done wit ol' boy. Are we sure he wrote The Sixth Sense?
97571, FIRST AVATAR CASTING PICS!
Posted by B9, Thu Oct-16-08 03:49 PM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_iNpyIS7Gsfc/SI-jXa6vobI/AAAAAAAAAQk/S_-VCVO3M8I/DSC02151.JPG
97572, http://tinyurl.com/blev8vd
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Jul-23-12 04:49 PM

http://tinyurl.com/blev8vd

Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it you? http://MatchShannon.com/

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

(C)Keith Murray, "
97573, THE M NIGHT RISES
Posted by Deebot, Mon Jul-23-12 04:55 PM
97574, *real tears*
Posted by lovelyone80, Tue Jul-24-12 11:04 PM
97575, Haters still mad.
Posted by dao_rida, Tue Jul-24-12 09:28 PM
M. Night hearts haters.