Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectjust watched this w/ the fam tonight (bootleg)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=97046&mesg_id=97175
97175, just watched this w/ the fam tonight (bootleg)
Posted by PimpMacula, Sat Dec-26-09 12:56 AM
I can sympathize with the criticisms about the film in terms of caucasoid pandering by exploiting a rock bottom black household, etc. This is definitely a legit argument, though I wouldn't write the movie off for this alone. I thought it was still very well done and fuck what anyone is talking about, Monique deserves that Oscar nod. her performance was hauntingly good.

Also, there were some other, more deeply embedded themes going on here. Such as Precious' infactuation with lighter men and white men. And her white female self-image. Though this imagery made sense when considered in conjunction with her up-bringing, I also didn't think the movie did much of anything to castigate anglo-american oppression and ideology. It simply presented white males/females as the ultimate aspiration and nothing else. I may be reaching here but on a subliminal level, this is the message that was being put across.

Then there were definitely themes dealing with homosexuality and lesbian undertones that were sort of glossed over in the movie. Not really saying this is good or bad but its just something that caught my attention. I also haven't read the book which probably sheds more light on these issues.

Overall, this was a good movie for what it was and the performances were above average.