Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectMy opinion B/B- (mild spoilers)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=96063&mesg_id=96125
96125, My opinion B/B- (mild spoilers)
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed Aug-06-08 11:22 AM
I caught the midnight showing last night. We got to the theatre blowed, and noticed the amount of people outside and got a bit worried. Got out of the car and were told the film was sold out by some teens in the parking lot.
As we were driving off, I decided to just check anyway. Turns out it was mostly sold out but there were still seats. Just wasn't likely to find groups of seats together.
I was with 4 friends, so I got the 5 tickets and we got in but weren't all able to sit together.

Theatre was wall to wall 16 year olds.
The fuck happened to curfew?

So the movie was cool, I guess.
It was really trying to be a real movie. I wasn't expecting that.
Way too many of the jokes and gags were shown in the trailers and commercials. The parts that would've had me busting up were things I'd already seen.

The other thing that was kinda whatever was that it was so much just based on the interaction of the two main characters. Dale (Rogen) was the same person he's been in every other movie, except this time he had a cool/funny job. Saul (Franco) was just a dumb stoner who said dumb stoner shit.

What I did like was that it seemed pretty realistic in the chase/run/escape aspect. The dealers and cops didn't waste any time trying to catch these two. Lots of movies they spend too much time trying to figure out the identities and things seem to take days and weeks of trying to catch someone they should've been done caught. In this one, the next morning they're at these dudes' throats already which was cool. They didn't waste time explaining and interrogating and all the nonsense. They were on their shit.

I also liked that they didn't explain why things were happening. They just were. We didn't need to know why/how Rosie Perez was wrapped up in this drug war, she just was. Dale and Saul didn't know either. That wasn't the point. She was trying to kill them -- that's all that really mattered.

I feel like I maybe need to see the movie not high. The pacing seemed to lag at some points but it might've just been the weed. I'm pretty sure it was a combination of the weed and the movie's actual pacing.

They should've done more with Dale's job throughout the movie and less with Saul's stonerisms.

My feelings right now are to give it a B, or B-.
It didn't take itself too seriously, but definitely more seriously than I expected.

I need to see it again, sober, but I'm worried it won't be funny at all when I see it again.