Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectSeeing it in Toronto made it all the more special
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=93489&mesg_id=93612
93612, Seeing it in Toronto made it all the more special
Posted by dgonsh, Sun Aug-29-10 01:10 PM
as a youngster who played in bands in many of the venues they filmed in like "the rockit" and "lee's palace," and hanging out in the Annex, it was extra special to see this movie made and see it made *so* well.

I have so many great things to say about this movie, and all of them have been said above me. But the Toronto atmosphere was just so well done. Ya see, Toronto is constantly the backdrop for movies aspiring to show NYC or Chicago/Boston on the cheap. So you'll see a "tim hortons" or "cibc" bank in the occasional film, but its always like an embarrassing flub by the filmmakers. But Edgar Wright took a story that is set in Toronto and brought Hollywood to it. Ive never seen Toronto look so crystal clear in a major film. Like they were proud of the backdrop, not ashamed. I dunno...it was just nice to see.

Funny story, a few weeks ago (the weekend before scott pilgrim opened), some friends and i went to see The Other Guys at the AMC Yonge & Dundas (the main downtown toronto theatre) and who do we see racing in to buy tickets at the last minute? Michael Cera, Jason Schwartzmen and jason's wife (along with a blond female companion for Cera). Many of my friends know i have a man crush on Jason Schwartzmen and have since rushmore. but i had no idea my girlfriend also had a crush on him...so we were both kinda geeking out. boy was my face red.

Anyway, yeah, LOVED scott pilgrim. not surprised it flopped the way it was presented to the masses. this movie *will* be a cherished cult in the years to come, no doubt.

Big thumbs up to the graphic designers and sound/visual editors who took Wrights direction and made it so articulate and defined. An unprecedented example of underlying edits you'll never notice on first, second, third, or tenth viewings. clearly, a lot of work went into making this film look and sound stunning.

3.75/4