Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectOn City of God,
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=9265&mesg_id=9281
9281, On City of God,
Posted by janey, Tue May-13-03 01:36 PM
I thought that it was very interesting visually, and I liked it very much.

***SPOILER ALERT***

My only caveat is that, honestly, most of the violence was at something of an emotional distance, which is appropriate, but I couldn't even mourn Benny's death properly.

The only time this film had me by the heart was in the moments in which L'il Ze was teaching the Runts a lesson. Those little kids really got me. And if I had seen more emotions all the way through, I would have been much more satisfied. Not that I had to see everyone as naked and raw as that child, but I would have liked to believe in the love stories. Or I would have liked to have *felt* the slights that turned L'il Dice into L'il Ze, rather than just having to take Rocket's word for it.

And the thing is, this is a fairly minor criticism, and I might not even have thought of it had it not been for the one truly brilliant scene. The rest of the violence I left inside the theatre when the movie was over. That little kid I took home with me and couldn't quite shake for a week.

On the other hand, "Bus 174" which deals with much of the same information, is the most affecting documentary I have ever seen. I hear that it has been picked up by HBO as part of the documentary series that they are sponsoring. See it.

Bus 174 had a cumulative effect that won't leave me alone. I think part of it may be because it is a documentary and it doesn't have a happy ending for anyone -- no one becomes a successful photographer and then goes on to tell their story. Bus 174 is really about bleakness. And it's not pretty, so you can't get caught up in the visuals. And the way that the director builds the story is amazing. Amazing.

Really really really. See it.

If you liked City of God, you'll never forget Bus 174.