Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectwhat the hell
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=91660&mesg_id=91765
91765, what the hell
Posted by McDeezNuts, Tue Apr-22-08 03:45 PM
Let me try to respond and explain some things, briefly if possible.

>"Oh, he's just nuts. Why should I bother."
>
>If you write it enough times, than you don't have
>to bother addressing the validity of my statements,
>and as Frank Longo(who disagrees with me) said, I have
>several points which are valid.

Just because one dude (who disagrees with you) says you have valid points doesn't make it true.

I really, honestly don't see you making any valid points about the movie.

All throughout the post you're simply attacking people who like the movie... because you claim their reasons for liking it are bullshit.

Yet no reason is good enough or valid to you. What you don't seem to understand is that while many people may share the same reasons, there's no "approved" or "acceptable" list of reasons for liking any particular movie.

So, I'd still like to see you make an intelligent, cogent point about the movie without assuming things about WHY other people (you've never met and don't know anything about) like or love the movie.

Here's one point you've tried to make, I guess:
"The dialogue was better in The Last Boy Scout"

Now that's an opinion, so I can't definitively say it's completely wrong... but I think a huge majority of people would disagree with you, including me (and I love LBS, for the record).

It's not because of any hype, it's just because I think the dialogue in PF is better, cooler, more enjoyable, better written, etc.

But of course you'll claim that people only believe that because of the hype machine behind Pulp Fiction, right?

Well, why is it okay for you to say LBS had better dialogue than PF, but if someone believes the complete opposite, then they're a victim of the awful hype machine?

There's just no logic to that reasoning.

>1)Try to find something insignificant to nitpick,
>like the guy above trying to debate me on the
>importance of the soundtrack(not only is he wrong,
>that isn't, at all, relevant to the greater discussion)

First, liking the soundtrack IS one of a huge number of reasons to like a movie. If that's the ONLY thing someone liked about the movie, then it's probably not a good movie. But liking the soundtrack is just ONE thing that someone might like about it.

For instance, I loved the soundtracks to Pulp Fiction, High Fidelity, Judgment Night, Forrest Gump... etc. The soundtracks alone didn't make me like the movies, but they definitely contributed to my enjoyment.

It's a valid reason. Replace the music in those movies with something awful (say, William Hung covers of those exact same songs) and it would be a big negative against those movies. It would detract.

Thus a movie's soundtrack and/or score are one of many factors that may go into the appreciation of a movie.

>a)You guys say: "I saw it when it first came out"
>
>I say: "Well, the hype had actually began before it
>came out, which it did, because I remember it
>clearly. Also, if you saw it when it came out,
>than you're actually worse than everyone else,
>because you BUILT the pretentious bandwagon"

The dude's whole point was that he HAD NOT heard much about the movie beforehand. Maybe there was promotion for it and he missed it. To be honest I don't really remember much promotion either.

Not everyone had the same experience you did, which was apparently overhype for a movie that you didn't like. That's fine. I'm not going to try to convince you that you should love the movie. It's your loss, IMO.
But I don't see why you're such a crusader against it. So it wasn't for you. Move on.

As for this "point": Also, if you saw it when it came out,
>than you're actually worse than everyone else,
>because you BUILT the pretentious bandwagon"

You're not actually saying anything here. People who saw the movie when it first came out and LOVED the fuck out of it were completely justified in telling all their friends that the movie was fucking awesome. Because it was.

So even if that built up the hype for the movie, I don't see how it's unjustified, given that it's simply people who loved the movie... telling other people that they loved the movie.

So knocking people for building the "pretentious bandwagon" is not a valid point here.

>b)You guys say: "It wasn't that deep. I liked it because
>it was simple and fun."
>
>I say: "If that is your opinion, than you disagree
>with many other opinions in this very post(that I
>point out). Also, if that is your opinion, than
>why is this film revered so much relative to other
>simple B movies?"

Some people liked it and found it simple and fun crime drama.
For others, the movie really resonated with them on a deeper level.

The fact that people disagree about why they like the movie is not indicative of some pop culture conspiracy to unjustifably hype up a bad movie.

And who the fuck are you (or anyone) to tell either group of people that they're wrong?

And I don't think most people would call Pulp Fiction a B-movie at all.

>c)You guys say: "It was profound and earth shattering.l"
>
>I say: "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....how? And on what basis
>do you conclude the random ass things that you conclude?"

People could give you reasons, but they already know it's a waste of time, since your typical "bwahaha" and self-fellating will begin before you've even finished reading it.

Personally, I don't think I'd call it profound - it didn't change the way I viewed the world or anything. It didn't teach me lessons about life. It's just one of the coolest and most entertaining movies ever, that's all.

I love everything about it - the tone and style, an awesome interwoven plot full of all the elements I love (action, drama, humor), cool plot structure, great acting, the beloved dialogue, fascinating characters, good music... and it exudes visceral coolness (there's the "hype machine" talking, right?).

Shit, what's not to like?

>I mean, I really, really, really, want to be convinced and
>have an intelligent conversation on the topic.

I don't believe you.

>I just clown y'all and act like an asshole because its...
>...well....fun.

And I don't think it's an act, either...