Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectBut here's the problem.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=91660&mesg_id=91721
91721, But here's the problem.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Apr-21-08 03:13 PM
A lot of the "writing and analysis" reeks of folks trying to justify that a fun movie speaks miles and miles deeper than it does.

I mean, I read in college a 20-page essay on what the film "Bones" said about black culture, in particular the image of the evil dog in a thug-filled world. And sure, some people might be able to look at see that. But was Snoop thinking that while making it? Were the writers/directors? Does every rap video that includes a barking dog trying to make a statement about that image in African-American popular culture today?

No. They just think barking dogs look badass and shit.

So there's some good analysis of Pulp Fiction, of course. Most of it has to do with its context in modern film history, and the impact it made. But there really has been a ton of bullshit written about it too.

I think a big reason it got cemented in film history the way that it did wasn't just the spinoffs, but the fact that this bloody entertaining flick ALMOST won Best Picture, but in the end lost to the schmaltzy shit that the Academy loves giving awards to. And so I feel in response to that, a lot of fans of the film (or maybe people who just weren't feelin Gump) wrote a ton about the revelance/context/importance of the film. If you look at criticism, the overwhelming majority begins the year after it was released, after it lost to Forrest Gump. So maybe that has something to do with it. I don't know.

And yes, O_E calls names. But y'all should've learned to ignore that by now. Just read between.

>because it basically calls us sheep and snobs at the same
>time for liking the movie
>and labels all analysis of the film, even if it makes sense,
>just people "making up reasons to like it"
>or overanalyzing
>but it goes both ways
>yes you can argue the movie is mostly style
>but you can also argue that the style is there to serve a
>point in the context of cultural analysis
>without rehashing the millions of different critiques of the
>film
>to say they're all just people making up shit to try to