Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectSo we disagree
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=91660&mesg_id=91701
91701, So we disagree
Posted by SoulHonky, Mon Apr-21-08 02:23 AM
I don't think it's copping pleas when it's my opinion of the film.

Inventiveness: IMO there weren't many films like Pulp Fiction out there before it came out. Call it mood, tone, whatever, it was different. I thought the timeline and tone and talkyness was new and, at the time, fresh. It's been done to death but it was IMO inventive when it came out.

To me the dialogue was far better in Pulp Fiction than Last Boy Scout. Lasy Boy Scout had some quality lines but I don't think it compares to Pulp Fiction. Again, I think Pulp Fiction is more comparable to Lethal Weapon. And dialogue was one of the aspects I noted. I didn't say it was a dumb movie with great dialogue. I liked the movie itself.

>The reason people cop pleas with the dialogue
>is because they NEED TO INVENT A REASON TO
>TELL THEMSELVES THAT PF GOOD.

Why would I have to invent reasons? I could see people inventing reasons to like Jackie Brown because they built up QT so much but I genuinely liked Pulp Fiction.

I'd say Bruce Willis was as good in Pulp Fiction. Damon Wayans was miscast IMO. I thought Sam Jackson and Travolta were great as was Uma Thurman. Again, I just don't see how you can compare the two. If QT had written a scene as ludicrous as Billy Blanks blowing his head off at a football game, you'd have a field day with it.

>Sam Jackson in JUNGLE FEVER(in VERY limited action)>>>
>>>>>Sam Jackson in Pulp Fiction.

And? Did I say it was Sam Jackson's best role? No. But I think everyone gave very good performances and raised the level of the film.

>So why then aren't other B-movie "popcorn flicks"
>REGULARLY nominated(remember the 'My Cousin Vinny'
>uproar?)?
>
>You wanna know why?
>
>Because the Academy DID NOT NOMINATE PULP FICTION
>BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT IT WAS A GODDAMN POPCORN
>MOVIE.

It's pulp fiction. If people thought it was more than that, I don't know what to tell you. Popcorn flicks get nominated. The year Pulp Fiction was nominated it was up against Four Weddings and a Funeral. Hell, Titanic was basically a popcorn flick IMO. THe Fugitive was nominated. Juno was just a teen movie and got nominated. Back to the Future was nominated for best screenplay, at least. It happens. Pulp Fiction is one of the few indie popcorn flicks. And I think more popcorn flicks should get nominated over stuff like Gangs of New York.

>I think its a silly, irrelevant movie.

And I think it's a great popcorn movie. One of the best ever? It's not even the best film of it's year; I'll take Shawshank over it any day.