Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: U mad that Pulp Fiction sucked?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=91660&mesg_id=91681
91681, RE: U mad that Pulp Fiction sucked?
Posted by Sanjuro, Sun Apr-20-08 06:15 PM
Do people really act like that? Wow. I mean, I never even knew Pulp Fiction was revered and analysed by people like that. I just thought it was accepted as a popular, cool, witty, ultra-violent gangster-flick with semi-original time shifts and unconventional structuring. It's no Fellini flick or nothing. It's not the Seventh Seal. Shit, it ain't even something like Clockwork Orange or Blade Runner in terms of heavy-handed symbolism.

Besides the whole briefcase Mcguffin, Pulp Ficition ain't deep AT ALL. After all, it's Pulp Ficiton. Light entertainment. Tarantino ain't a deep film-maker. He doesn't use symbolism like a Kubrick or a Lynch would.

I'm really surprised people see it like that. If you don't like the film first time, I'd imagine it just ain't your thing - not a case of you missing something or it being misunderwstood. The film isn't that layered. The structure and dialogue are the most standout elements to that flick - both GREAT, by the way, hence the reputation Pulp Ficiton has gained.