Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectA Mirror of Mirrors
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=9088&mesg_id=9191
9191, A Mirror of Mirrors
Posted by Nettrice, Fri May-16-03 01:00 PM

>SPOILERS NOW:
>
>The whole original logic of the film (to put it really
>really simply)is that in the real world they are just normal
>people, but in the Matrix they can "hack" the system and be
>sort of Superheros, right?

I don't think so. I think the movies begs to explore what we perceive or project. It also is a continuation of what Blade Runner explored. These characters (sci-fi) are more real but often confused as to what world they are in, and how they should act with respect to it. If anything, The Matrix explores postmodernity. Who was I? Forgotten, bewildered and now unpredictable.

In Blade Runner, the replicants are totally authentic reproductions. Roy Batty from Blade Runner is Agent Smith, not human, coveting humans, yet, hating them and wanting power over them. Their hatred of their existence and need for control is their downfall. Man, without Phillip K. Dick and Ridley Scott there would be no The Matrix!

>And then Neo stops the Sentinels
>in the real world with his "powers?"

The merging of worlds and the end of an elaborate illusion perhaps?

The idea of postmodernity is that it is unreal, fleeting, the result of the modern world gone awry. Everything is a layer down from or above everything else. This is a world we create, from all the things we created and forgot in the past. Nothing is connected and this new world is nothing but a reflection of all those images and creations, all the cycles or generations.

I totally got the scene in that room. My sister (ADHD) says she was distracted during those scenes when she knew it was deep but her mind just would not go there. I got it and realized that the machines had summed it up that "choice" was the human flaw that they could not control and Neo was the latest reminder, growing strong with every cycle. Seemed like the machines were just giving up.