Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: Experience the Hell That Is The Funeral: Mr Mech's Student Film
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=90241&mesg_id=90273
90273, RE: Experience the Hell That Is The Funeral: Mr Mech's Student Film
Posted by Shawn Maxam, Fri Jul-07-06 05:30 PM
Well I want to say kudos for even getting this project done especially since reading the post it seems you had alot of obstacles to overcome.

It looked good and alot better than alot of student films or videos I have seen.

The acting was decent to good. The funeral director was the best actor while everyone else seemed ok but no one ruined the film experience for me-lol.

In its description the film said comedy and humor but I didn't find it very funny it was more weird and offbeat than anything.

I agree with Longo about the clarity issue. I am not really sure what the film is trying to say. Even if it is saying nothing then I guess through editing or music or whatever that can be conveyed more
clearly.

I like the opening and closing music and credit sequence.
I like your idea. I think it's interesting.

I was confused by the montage of monsters/dead people and when the funeral director was being bounced up and down what did that mean if anything.

I guess when you are reworking the film you can just edit it in a way where every shot is essential to moving the narrative foward and is also revelvant to conveying the point of the short.

Good luck and don't worry about the people at your school it seems most artists are better at trying to be an artist than actually being one. Also when I was going to school (graduated w/ a degree in jazz studies) almost everyone was pretty bad at giving positive criticism.

I think the best you can do is develop a strong sense of self-reflection and use that to critique yourself in the most objective manner possible.

Just ask yourslef what are your goals and if your art in its current form or quality is helping you achieve it.

Aight, Peace.