Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: Experience the Hell That Is The Funeral: Mr Mech's Student Film
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=90241&mesg_id=90261
90261, RE: Experience the Hell That Is The Funeral: Mr Mech's Student Film
Posted by Colin, Thu Jul-06-06 01:45 AM
I am a student film maker, just graduated from San Diego State University. So perhaps I will split the difference between objective non-film student viewer, and symphatetic fellow film student.

O.K. I am trying to think what I would be proud of if I made this film.

While non film students automatically crush the skills of our free actors I feel the acting is consistent and very good for a student film here. Kudos to you as a director.

The tone of the film, the story, the events, the feel, are all interesting.

The credits and the music are excellent.

Now what I don't like/feel:

Well, some of the oddball costumes are just over the edge for me and look a little low budget.

The transition from second to third act lost me.

The cinematography...the lighting is a little bland and over-gelled at times. The production design is poor...I am just seeing a yellow lit wall over and over again. I assume a bland set. Perhaps a location would have been nicer, because it's tough to find good production designers at this level. The angles are alright though.

As a director you always want more coverage but I know how it goes.

You can fix sound with editing, re-dubbing etc.

It's a good film. Interesting, funny, macabre, well acted, written and directed.

Good job.

I would put my film up here but first need to get a higher quality version. My films were shot in super 35 but on the internet look much more downgraded than yours. I don't understand technology!