Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectWhy have people flaked on my projects?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=90241&mesg_id=90259
90259, Why have people flaked on my projects?
Posted by Mr Mech, Thu Jul-06-06 12:52 AM
I've learned that the real question is why do people commit themselves to a project they don't want to see through its completion. I think it's very easy to want to be a filmmaker but it's way more complex and arduous than people think.

The producer who originally signed on to The Funeral had been spoiled with the idea that a student film producer didn't have to do more than organize some papers, arrange some meetings and order a few meals. But, as you know, being a producer requires taking on a lot of responsibility; not only a responsibility to get papers organized, arrange meetings and order food but a responisibility to make sure that the project succeeds so that a large group of people can feel proud of making a film. It's a lot of pressure that's more complicated than simply meeting a deadline and ultimately I think that's scary to a lot of people. I understand the hard work and focus this takes so that's why I never want to share the producing credits for my films even though I'm the one putting up the money.

Personally, I try to make everyone involved in the film feel invested in the project; meaning I take their ideas and their suggestions and try to make it clear to them that the project is developing and taking shape because of their input. So, when people drop out it really pains me because, to put it simply, I thought we were having a great time making a film we can be proud of and people can enjoy watching.

I think working on my projects is harder than working on the films of other people in my class and I think they're projects that are harder to make work with limited resources. But, as the head of the project, the Black Lion so to speak, I try to make it as easy as possible for my crew and cast to do their jobs and do them well.

Ultimately, I don't know why so many people are inclined to jump ship and I really don't understand why they would want to jump ship when it's not sinking.

Mech