Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectAlright it's 4am and I'm tired but here goes.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=90241&mesg_id=90258
90258, Alright it's 4am and I'm tired but here goes.
Posted by Ryan M, Wed Jul-05-06 06:41 AM
I read the script awhile back and I didn't see any big changes (well actually the climax was cut down, for logistical purposes I'm sure)...what, if anything, was changed? It was awhile ago that I read it.

I think that you have a good idea here. Remember though, these films are exercises bro. Do your best, tell a story, but don't expect genius. Also, in reading through the other replies...I noticed you, again, had crew quit on you. Is this just coincidence? Are there flaky people in your school, or what? I understand all too well the politics involved with film school - so please elaborate on your experiences with regards to that.

Now back to the film...I really dug the lighting in the horned dude's speech (again I'm tired, I will go back and watch it but I'm trying to go for descriptions here). As someone said the film space is kinda...not there, but you did what you could. The framing at the beginning is jarring...I don't really understand the idea there. It seems to push you away from the characters rather than bring you in. Makeup wise, I think it was great. Um, let's see...how can you make it better...

...well, for starters, unlike a lot of student films, I do not think it was too long. However, there is a bit of ambuguity throughout, which is confusing, especially in the climactic moment. The acting was student filmish which is all good...if your intent was going for theatrics, then you got it (for the most part, I'm sure you know you're not going to get everything you want here). I just keep coming back to why your sets seem to go to hell last minute. I know that you probably planned out this shoot in great detail and, all things considered, you did hammer out a project in the face of adversity and that does need to be commended. Overall I wasn't exactly entertained by the film, although don't feel bad - I'm usually not by student films.

I think the moments in which things go very visual ie. the guests entering the funeral parlor - you really captured the essence of this project. Dark humor with these undertones of serious questions. But it's lost when things go back to lengthy, wordy dialog scenes that kinda drag. I'll write more later, but try and answer the questions I've got.