Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectAn Abortion of a Movie
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=8921&mesg_id=9087
9087, An Abortion of a Movie
Posted by MrMajor, Sat May-24-03 03:32 PM
I hated the first Matrix, Blade and Dark City dealt with concepts and visuals similar to the Matrix. All the things that were lauded in this movie had already been done before and better. That said I was actually looking forward to seeing this flick based on the trailers and hype. Reloaded did do one thing for me, it made me like the first one more because this movie was a collassal piece of pretentious, contrived, psuedo intellectual bullshit.

Long drawn out exposition, and a smidgen of computer generated action does not a good movie make. Nor does reapeating dialouge in the same scene with different inflections and synonyms. Dammit, stop talking already and fight. And when you fight have some consequences other than the hero/heroes escaping. Every scene that came on I was dreading because I knew it would be another 5 to 10 minute rambling to explain the failings of the last movie or to forshadow events in the next. Hey, what about this movie!!!!

I know the apologist want to say "this is supposed to be part of a trilogy"..."it leads into the next movie...Bullshit, a movie needs to stand on its own, this aint television or a comicbook where shit will resolve itself in a month. There are many films that are pieces to a whole that not only serve the larger story but stand on there own.

Incredible how a movie with such great and epic concepts fails on almost every level. The Wachowski's need to go back to film school seriously. I realize they did soem marketing research that said yeah, most people like, 'splosions, fights, guns, cars, robots, fine women etc, but hey lets throw in a lot of overly verbose actors, some greek mythology, biblical references and zen philosophy for the high-brow folks too!

This movie was ponderous. Excrutiatingly ponderous. Its like watching prison inmates doing Shakespeare with every concievable action movie cliche thrown in. BAD!!!! And while the Wachowski's manage to drop the bombshell that they ripped off the movie the 13th Floor...umm I mean that there is a virtual world inside a virtual world it wasnt enough to salvage a poorly put together film.