Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectMy Answers
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=8921&mesg_id=8982
8982, My Answers
Posted by Nettrice, Thu May-15-03 02:28 AM
>1- there seems to be a "higher user domain" that we have not
>seen yet..i.e. is there a computer counterpart to zion where
>these characters (oracle/architect/marovingian) exist and of
>which the matrix is a subset? i thought the source would be
>that place but i guess thats the other door?

See my postmodernism post. There is this idea that postmodernism is the mirror of mirrors. There really is no social commentary to be made, just a reflection of the past, disjointed pictures that hint at the future without really predicting anything. The Architect, in this scene, was the designer of this postmodern reality, a college or layers of reality. At the core of these pictures/mirrors was choice. The basic human characteristic that these machines could not calculate or determine. It was the one thing that kept coming up over and over, esp. since the Neos kept showing up. That was the door that led to others doors or choices. However, the machines still had control and were making the decision to end it all since they could not control the Neos (Part 3?).

>3- is agent smiths quest to be free of the matrix (morpheus
>torture scene in the first movie) what motivates him in this
>movie? he seems to be going beyond his original
>"programming" towards some new purpose (neo/smiths++ fight
>scene)

Smith wants to be the new power structure, so he became a virus to take over everything and become this new organism. He wants power and control so he replicates indiscriminately. He was an enemy to the power structure, as well as a challenge to Neo who was/is seeking freedom internally rather than externally. His freedom was at the expense of all else, including the status quo.