Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectMy Review *Spoiler free*
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=8921&mesg_id=8965
8965, My Review *Spoiler free*
Posted by BigReg, Wed May-14-03 07:20 PM
Tbe honest, nobody really can't spoil this movie all things considered, because alot of shit went down that can't easily be explained in a sentence or two(or even in one movie apparently). Ideally, I wouldn't trust any review(even mine) cause its the kind of movie you have to watch and decide for yourself.

Overall I give it 3 stars out of 4. It's a good, but not great movie. But even with its flaws, the world of the Matrix is just so goddamned cool that given the chance to spend another two hours(well two and a half this time) was well worth my money. With a movie like this, pointing out the flaws will make it sound worse then it is,but for now, lets start with the stuff that's good.

1)Special effects/wire-fu. Absolutely on point. I watched the original Matrix today, and while Keanu did a good job, he was pretty stiff in the fights. This time the choreography was alot smoother and much more believable(save for one flaw...ill get to that later). And they spared no expensve as far as crashing/blowing things up, the action centerpiece involving a freeway chase is worth watching just for the way they film the crashes.

2)Expansion of the Matrix Universe. They drop alot of little cool idea's about the Matrix that make it less of a dream world, but more of a real world of its own. The in-matrix characters and how they came to be is just a smart idea, and idea imho they could have done much more with(although we will have to see in Revolutions). Just from some of the idea's they drop, you could have a whole Matrix spinoffs of that have absolutely nothing with the original movies themselves.

The bad.

1)The world of the real. The first 45 minutes take place in Zion, and you could walk in right after that part ends and not miss a beat. Now, with guys doing ill matrix moves, the real world would normally have a problem competing, but here they don't even try. Alot of boring speeches, bad love triagles(Nona Gaye should never act again), etc. And its responsible for one of the corniest, tackiest scenes ever put to music since Breakin 2.

2)CGI. *Sigh* Overuse. Not enough to totally tarnish the fx work, but it seemed about they went overboard in about 10% of it. The original Matrix is a landmark in effects because it didn't look fake. This one pushes the boundry alot higher, and the tradeoff is that it doesn't work nearly 100% of the time like the first one did. It is close however.