Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectPost Modernity and Reloaded
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=8921&mesg_id=8955
8955, Post Modernity and Reloaded
Posted by Nettrice, Wed May-14-03 07:01 PM
Forget the pseudo-philosophical and religious overtones for a moment and consider that the Wachowskis call their project a quest for the "global domination of popular culture". These guys know their audience well, as well as popular culture that is so receptive to what they have to sell as far as The Matrix movies are concerned.

It's late and I am just getting back from seeing Reloaded. All throughout this movie, I was reminded of a college class on art and culture, esp. a book, "The Condition of Post Modernity" by David Harvey. Before I continue I have to say I enjoyed the movie thoroughly but more for what it was not able to explain than for what it tried to explain. Postmodernism is a "mirror of mirrors", so illustrated (spoiler) when Neo faced the Architect in the room full of them.

Some who have seen this movie saw no place for love. The first movie was about action, activism, etc. and this second one is about survival, hope, transcendence and love. I can't imagine what the third could be but as with all cycles there is resolution near the end and the birth of something new...just like this Matrix trilogy.

Go see the movie...