Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectThis Comic-Head's review
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=86338&mesg_id=86523
86523, This Comic-Head's review
Posted by SensaiTate, Wed May-09-07 03:47 PM
I have come to terms with the FACT that I am a geek.

I get excited about new innovations in technology. I was over-excited when the Nokia E70 came out..Backordering on Ebay. Reviewing on forums tongue wagging and ALL that.

I "how stuff works" is one of my bookmarks.

I collected action figurines (They are NOT dolls!) until I was almost 25.

Don't get me started on my fascination with Graphic Novels (thats the cool way of saying comics without actually saying COMICS!)
I was in the first group to watch the last installment of Star Wars at midnight right when it opened..you know those guys with the light sabre's?..Yes that was ME complete with Punisher t-shirt.
I was at the Superman Returns Premier in Manhattan IMAX theatre complete with geeky 3D glasses.
I went to see X-Men 3 2wice coz I had missed the final scene after the credits.

So naturally I would be AMPED to watch Spiderman 3.

Didn't get to watch it on opening day since I didnt wanna have to deal with the Non-purists (yes I am a comic snob too!).

Finally go to watch it on a random Monday evening 7pm show.
Missed the trailers but thats not the point anyway right? I mean who wants to see Fantastic 4 part 2 Rise of the Silver Surfer anyway?!

Settle down just as they show the opening Marvel comic sequence. I LOVE that comic book flicking sequence.

*& Now for our Feature Presentation*

Opening Spider-Man sequence seems like a recap of the first 2 movies in case you're one of the 3people who HAVEN'T seen it. This is worrying...Looks like they may have made this one with the non-purists as highest priority...
lets maintain an objective mind afterall US$19-50 is a pretty price to pay for a movie date.

SO EXCITED: There are great interactions to be explored in this movie so there is little chance they could mess this up right? I mean VENOM + GREEN GOBIN 2 + SANDMAN! A comic geek's dream date movie.

As the movie progresses it is clear that the focus of this one is on the done age-old theme of
'Boy loves girl; Boy Loses girl; Boy must "find himself" if he is to get girl back blah blah blah..might as well cast Hugh f*ckin Grant as Peter Parker!!! I mean 75% of the movie exploring the boy-girl cheesy sh*t?! DAMN YOU HOLLYWOOD!

Speaking of bad casting: Possibly THE Worst casting job in the history of Comic book adaptations was Topher Grace (from THAT 70'S SHOW!!!!) as Eddie Brock/ Venom! WTF!!! This may be worse than the Sue Storm & Routh as Clark Kent/ Supe mis-castings! WTF WTF WTF!!!
Topher is about 150lbs (75kgs) too small for the role! WTF!!!
COME ON! HAVE YOU CASTING DIRECTOR NEVER READ A SPIDERMAN COMIC!

People do not seem to understand the depth of the Psychological turmoil that is the Venom arc. Its not a simple issue of painting the Spiderman black as this movie would have you believe. Its a deeper commentry on the spiritual battle between (relatively weaker) Good vs bitter sweet, seemingly more powerful) Evil we all wage daily. Why not explore this very human theme more in this movie???? I guess it wasn't as marketable & the 7yr olds gracing the opening week box-offices wouldnt be able to handle such "dark" themes yet we load Shrek 3 with sexual inuendos...

In its defense I admire the studio's vision to try bring the Venom saga to life & stay true to the alien origins of the symbiodic Venom suit. All that was pretty consistent though it could be argued that they spent a total of 5mins on the Spiderman/ Venom saga. I for one didn't think black suit Spidey was any more "Venomous" than good ol' friendly neighbourhood red & blue spandex Spidey.

The special FX were good though nothing ground-breaking we didn't see in the first 2 movies.
The opening fight sequence btwn Peter Parker & Young Obsourne was particuarly impressive. Them exploding pumpkin missle thingie are not to be messed with!
We would have liked to see more of a Spidey vs Venom fight though since I was expecting him to be the main villian. What do we get? a freakin 1minute back & forth slap fest. Not even the obligatory "WE ARE VENOM" line! *spits* Phuu!

Stan Lee cameos, as corny as the dialogue was, are always an exciting sighting in a Marvel movie.

Tobey was his pimple-faced usual self in this one as Peter Parker. I actually think this was a good casting selection.

Kirtsen Dunst is growing on me as Mary Jane Watson. I guess you need a whiney girl to play damsel in distress.
but even these 2 seasoned Spiderman leads could not save the film from its inadequacies.
Honestly this must have been one of THE worst written movies I have seen in the last 5yrs. Lines like: "I would give my life for you guys" should be banned from movies forever!
The Peter & MJ scene particularly made me cringe for every drawn out moment.

I honestly think an episode of Heroes packs more legitimate Comic book spirit than this latest incarnation of this $375M first week box-office Web-Crawler sequel.
I say we start a petition: Tim Kring for Spiderman 4!

4 out of 10.
-Nyif