Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectThis one was a mammoth
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=86338&mesg_id=86413
86413, This one was a mammoth
Posted by Beamer6178, Sat May-05-07 04:06 AM
Just from the responses I've read, 95% of the people have said, despite criticisms "I really enjoyed it, really good flick." That speaks volumes for a movie when people can criticize it so much and still enjoy it as well.

First off, it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to do a strict interpretation of a comic book in a movie, especially one that's been around as long as this one, with different writers and various retellings over time. I mean no one seem to complained about the first movie, when in the comic book, MJ didn't come into his life until well after he got the spider bite. Movies have been in large part BLEAH for awhile, I definitely was putting all my hopes into this one and it DELIVERED.

Dark Peter was scene stealing, IMO. It was like he was tasting the forbidden fruit from the tree of knowledge, where he's actually in full realization of his powers, instead of hiding them or restraining them, letting you know what COULD happen if he weren't of a strong moral fiber. I liked seeing the problems between him and MJ, that fairy tale romance took a beating, it was nice to see the harsh realities of life and the trouble they play in relationships.

They could have spent more time doing Brock's background but 1) I don't believe that Venom/Brock are truly dead 2) I don't think it was consequential to the overall story, I mean dude goes to church to PRAY for PP's DEATH, you GET that he hates him. I mean he stole his girl as spiderman AND as peter, he took his job and humiliated him, i mean he did DIRT to sonny.

I think they tied things together nicely though at the end. I was never a religious week to week comic book reader so I could just be ignorant of it, but I don't know that harry was EVER teaming up with peter to fight villains, it was unfortunate but probably necessary that he died. Like I said, I think Brock or at the very least, Venom, isn't dead yet. If you can come out of the sky on a meteorite, a bomb probably isn't gonna get you done forever. And the last scene, Peter and MJ are dancing together but it's not a "this is goodbye" type shit, it kind of just leaves it out there, which was smart, in case Dunst doesn't return, and no she's far from the prettiest actress that could have played MJ but she owns that role, to replace her with another actress would be a HUGE mistake IMO. Also, Gwen Stacy is still alive (and much hotter) so since she was Peter's first girlfriend in the comics, it's open to the possibility that he'll get with her. If this is the last movie, you can either know that Peter and MJ ended together, but if it can continues, there are many different directions it can go. You kind of figure that if Peter and MJ get married, that will signal the end of the franchise, so it was smart for them to keep things open for now.

Yeah, no fucking complaints, EXCELLENT MOVIE. I've liked each one more and more and this one definitely raised it another notch. Actually my only complaint is that we had to sit close to the screen in the IMAX theater. Next time we go, we gotta get there early, I was PISSED at the beginning cause of that lolol.