Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectB- (SPOILERS)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=86338&mesg_id=86404
86404, B- (SPOILERS)
Posted by ZooTown74, Fri May-04-07 07:19 PM
Enjoyable, but I thought there was too much of the "Dark Spidey" stuff

(and btw, it's interesting that Spidey/Peter got some "soul" when he "went black"... the odd thing was, I didn't feel like anything he did was "bad"... he just got snarkier and asserted himself more... oh, and he did appear to murder someone, but beside that...)

The shift to Venom came too late in the movie for anyone to really care about him as a threat

This movie was plotted out within an inch of its life, and that was the problem, there was too much of it. The original idea Raimi had was to shoot two movies, and it looks like he tried to stuff as much of the plot of both films into this one

The performances and hokey "cornpone" dialogue were right in line with the first two movies, I don't know how anyone could have expected much of an improvement

And maybe it was the blown up IMAX image, but I've never been so amused by so many overacting-ass extras in my life

That said, I did like Thomas Haden Church's performance, and Topher Grace as well, even though they didn't have much to work with (Church especially)

It felt like Bryce Dallas Howard was wasted

And I certainly liked James Franco better both times he was a heel than the two times he turned babyface

And as O_E has pointed out, Kirsten Dunst isn't that attractive, so when she "dumped" Peter, I didn't really feel bad

Had they started the Venom storyline earlier, instead of farting around with Dark Spidey walking like John Travolta down the street and talking like a hepcat, daddio, I would have enjoyed the movie more

Yeah, fine, the Dark Spidey stuff was fun, but if you're going to have 3 villains, it didn't make much sense to me to add a 4th villain, that being Spidey's Conflicted Inner Identity

Like, who cares at this point

They could have lost all of that and had the black goo invade Eddie early on instead of having it jump on the back of Peter's moped, disappear for 20 minutes, then show up again at Peter's crib after MJ leaves

You could still keep the "Peter wants to propose to MJ but she's jealous and going through a slump" storyline, but we would have gotten to Venom faster, which would have made things more interesting to me

I still dug the movie, but not as much as I would have had they cut back on (or cut out) the "Dark (K)night of The Spiderman" stuff

And it was awesome in 70MM IMAX

Shouts out to the Sony employees that were in the house (including the cute chocolate one I sat next to), being good worker bees by inflating the weekend b.o. numbers*

*(that's a joke, btw, not a serious or accurate accusation)

Also, as a side note, I still like that "Hero" song from the first Spider-Man