Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectlol why are ppl so bitter when others criticize films they like?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=85668&mesg_id=85884
85884, lol why are ppl so bitter when others criticize films they like?
Posted by zuma1986, Mon Feb-23-09 03:14 PM
I honestly didn't think Slumdog was a great film, it was a decent film. I don't try to use this to make myself feel smarter and I'm not depressed or dead inside b/c of it. It's a simple film and with that you're going to get ppl on both sides of the fence. Just b/c you really enjoyed it doesn't mean there's flaws (AND this film had plenty).

As for the article I thought that was a terrible article b/c it really only brought up 1 or 2 points that ppl had a against it, mainly the filmmakers exploiting a 3rd world nation's suffering to make a feel good for well-off nations (Which I don't particularly agree is true). It didn't bring up any of the other arguments against the film (Not a real representation of India, too simple a story, way too convenient plot points, etc.) and really I don't think the author could have countered too many of the other points.

But my biggest criticism against the article is that AWARDS DON"T MAKE A FILM!!!!!!! I mean Goodfellas only won 1 oscar, didn't anyone after the Oscars go hmmm the academy was right Goodfellas wasn't that great a film Dances with Wolves a lot better NO!!!!!!! Of course not, I mean it's nice to be recognized but don't go out of your way to make sure you get an Oscar. And just b/c you win an Oscar doesnt mean it'll make your more prestige, I mean is Titanic considered one of the greatest films ever? Not many ppl that I know think that.