Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI'd argue there wasn't a single GREAT or classic film this year
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=85668&mesg_id=85842
85842, I'd argue there wasn't a single GREAT or classic film this year
Posted by SoulHonky, Sun Jan-18-09 05:44 PM
Maybe "shitty" is an overstatement but this year was, at best, average and personally I wouldn't even go that far.

That doesn't mean that zero good or very good films came out. I think most films that came out this year were immediately forgettable. (And I'm talking American films, not foreign films which have carried this entire decade along with documentaries) There were some great performances but I don't think there were any great films.

Gran Torino is a footnote in Eastwood's career. Sean Penn was great in Milk but I thought the film was only OK (and supposedly not as revealing as the doc made over a decade ago).

The Foot Fist Way? C'mon, I know the guy who directed it and I'm not about to use that as evidence that this was even a slightly below average year for film.

And The Fall (like Benjamin Button) was an average film that was crafted very well.

I'm not saying zero good films came out but I wasn't all that interested in seeing most of the movies this year and when I came out of the theater, the film was out of my thoughts by the time I got home.