Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectit was actually a combination of indies and big budget flicks...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=85668&mesg_id=85781
85781, it was actually a combination of indies and big budget flicks...
Posted by SankofaII, Mon Jan-05-09 04:50 PM
my list:

4 Months, 3 Weeks, ad 2 Days (as dark and grimy as it was, it was an extremely well written film about post-communist romania in the 80s and the reality of how abortions just RECENTLY (in the past 20 years) became legal in that country. Anamaria Marinca and Laura Vasilu should SERIOUSLY be nominated for Oscars but won't be and that's' a shame.

Frozen River-Melissa Leo is a tour de force in this film and doesn't get ENOUGH work...Misty Upsham MORE than holds her own also. Oscar nods for these two would be GREAT...don't count on it.

The Visitor-who knew the weak assed, nebbish reporter who fabcricated stories on the final Season of THE WIRE was a talented writer and director? Richard Jenkins, Haaz Sleiman, Danai Jekesai Gurira (Zenirab), and Hiram Abbouss were all outstanding. once again, oscar nods deservedly need to go to EVERYONE from acting to writing and directing. not counting on it.

A Christmas Tale--Catherine Denevue..shit that's it. just FIERCE as Catherine D. doing what she does best...act her ass off.

Rachel Getting Married--fantastic film with top notch performances.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button--as long as it was, it was still a very good movie. And, Brad Pitt OWNED it he reall did.

The Dark Knight--Aaron Eckhart, Heath Ledger, Maggie Gyllenhaal, etc. are all fantastic. I think if it wasn't so "dark" (aka REAL), it would be getting MORE love with the critics and awards.

Tell No One--first and only film to be adapted from a Harlan Coben novel and in French no less. Francois Cluzet (Alexandre Beck) and Kristin Scott Thomas (Helene Perkins? who knew she could speak French WELL?) and it was great...even though it came out in europe in 06/07, i didn't catch it until the summer of 08.

Rocknrolla: shitty execution, but hilarious performances, particularly by Tom Hardy (Handsome Bob), Tony Klebell (Johnny Quid), Mark Strong (Archie), and also Gerard Butler (One Two) and Thandie Newton (Stella), Guy Ritchie showed that he is capable of a DECENT, complex, ensemble dramedy/thriller--too bad THIS wasn't it. But, a fair effort though.

i still have yet to see:
The Wrestler
Revolutionary Road
Doubt
The Reader
Wendy and Lucy
Let The Right One In (which i'm going to see thursday since it's playing out here)
Gran Torino (though the mixed reviews aren't a good thing at all)

so this