Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: the driving theme of the entire movie was destiny/fate
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=85668&mesg_id=85715
85715, RE: the driving theme of the entire movie was destiny/fate
Posted by astralblak, Mon Dec-29-08 01:44 PM
i disagree. all that it was written shit was hollywood gloss added 2 the love conquers all narrative 2 incorporate themes of fate and destiny which makes its accessible 2 the general audience. at its core, whether intentional or not, (which again is the beauty of good art) is that slumdog deconstructs the idea that the poor are dumb and disposable. just as in general debates around race, class and history, ethnic studies argues that out of our colonized situation and day 2 day struggles a vital and intrinsic situated knowledge develops, this movie exposes how this knowledge is gained, shared and integral 2 our survival against a harmonic power. jamal, salim, and ol girl live and survive due 2 their incredible ability 2 process and internalize the world around them. thats why the host is so pissed that jamal is answering these question correctly, how did the poor bastards social outkast learn this shit about bourgeois society. all in all i think the film express a will 2 live and love, which at times it over does. not some silly alluding 2 fate and destiny like him not knowing the the name of the third muskateer and answering correctly. that scene/plot is added for the sake of smiles and tears, its whatever in my eyes. what i spoke 2 above is the most important.