Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subject*this* is why i love movies
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=85668&mesg_id=85712
85712, *this* is why i love movies
Posted by ternary_star, Mon Dec-22-08 05:24 PM
it's really easy to get jaded towards movies with all of the heartless garbage that gets churned out, but it's movies like this that bring me back.

just a beautiful (visually and emotionally) flick. everyone involved just laid out their passion and energy on screen.

i very rarely turn myself completely over to a movie and discard all sarcasm and jadedness, but this movie chipped away at my little Grinch heart. i gave in. i went for the ride. and it's the best movie-going experience i've had this year.

and as a side note, THIS is how you do stylized film-making. Boyle employs all of his usual visual tricks (sharp angles, shaky-cam, over-saturated colors, non-linear editing) but they SUPPORT the heart of the story. when he breaks out the shaky-cam for a chase scene, we're always aware of where all the characters are in relation to the environment and each other. compare this to a shitfest like Quantum of Solace and it's night and day.

really fantastic experience.