Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: Really good movie....but..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=82988&mesg_id=83240
83240, RE: Really good movie....but..
Posted by filmgeek, Sat Mar-17-07 02:14 PM
"There has always been a "master narrative" in film that promotes one civilization over others and it is insidious."

um in 300 xerxes is master. his civilization is the dominant, enslaving civilization. and guess what, some civilizations are better than others. dont believe me? go move to the middle east and have your clitoris removed and then tell me which is better.

the master narrative you speak of becomes insidious when people are
characters are judged by the color of their skin rather than the content of their character.

when this "master narrative" promotes racism it is a problem, but there isn't a shred of racism in this movie. a bunch of the slaves where white. all of the slaves depicted as monsters were as white as a sheet. xerxes looked persian (blackface my ass) he didnt even look
slightly black.

movies do not equal real life and they often (especially in sandal and swords genres) have NOTHING to do with "reality" as people live it.

and again i ask of you: "why do you find the need to find racism in unintended, out of the way places when white people everywhere spew racist rhetoric on a daily basis?"

but im finished with this because i am starting to think you are playing devils advocate for fun. this is boring me.