Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectVisually Stunning, and entertaining. I posted about the racial issues
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=82988&mesg_id=83180
83180, Visually Stunning, and entertaining. I posted about the racial issues
Posted by Smoody, Mon Mar-12-07 07:19 PM
in GD. copy/paste b/c that thread won't stay up long:

Not to give any plot spoilers, but very early on they state that the enemy is a dark beast. This is voice-over on the shot when the messenger is riding into town. draw your own conclusions there.

But overall, my beef was, in a larger systemic sense, with Hollywood. Its funny how Hollywood will portray people from history, in parts of the world that were inhabited by non-white/non-eurpoeans, as dark skinned when it suits a particular purpose of the film (villainy), but light-skinned or caucasian when there is a heroic or noble element (Elizabeth Taylor playing Cleopatra; no black Egyptians in 5th element, few in Stargate, almost white-looking actors in Scorpion King, etc.) I saw a bio / story on the History Channel about Hannibal, and they had him cast as a caucasian.

There are a ton more examples, I've been studying this for a minute.

My other beef was the historical issue surrounding the idea of Sparta fighting for a unified Greece. I'm not very familiar with the hellenistic timeline but I thought the idea & unification of greece didn't come until later, and that the city-states used to fight each other quite often. so that whole thing I thought was odd. I gotta research that part more though.