Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectIt was okay
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=82988&mesg_id=83136
83136, It was okay
Posted by LA2Philly, Sun Mar-11-07 03:44 PM
Obviously the visuals and battle scenes were pretty stunning(particularly the first one in which they actually stuck to the phalanx), but even the latter got rather repetitive imo.

There was really no storyline material, the aspects that Miller chose to ignore within Spartan society in order to portray them as the freedom-loving ideals were hilarious, the racist undertones as many have noted(who knew all persian leaders were that dark?), the boring attempt to give the Queen a larger role in the story, the hunchback cat w/ the dunce cap on @ the end(I was dying when I saw that shit and the sash), the homo-erotic Xirxi(sp?) w/ those giant fucking hands and grabbing Leonitas from the back lmao, the stripper Oracle lol, and lastly the Sparta cat @ the end denouncing Eastern 'mysticism' (the hypocracy made me laugh out loud in the theater).....the message of the movie was evident after the first 5 mins and then beaten into my head: the Spartans were great warriors and bad-ass...yeh, I get it.

The only performances that stuck out imo were King Leonitas(great voice) and Theron....the rest were fine, just nothing memorable imo. Great battle scenes, I enjoyed the very humanizing humor/sarcasm thrown in by the Spartans.....but honestly, I was sitting there kinda bored, and Im a movie viewer who usually just takes the movie for what its worth, but 300 just had nothing outside of fighting imo.

If a movie w/ these visuals and style could be made w/ a more objective view and more historically accurate particularly in terms of examining Spartan society...I would absolutely love it.

The movie looked RIDICULOUS in Imax though.

edit: last thing, when Theron got killed and dropped those Persian coins, I nearly lost it lol. Why in the gotdamn world would he be carrying those? lmao. 'Traitor! Traitor!'