Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: WTF @ that random Goat
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=82988&mesg_id=83105
83105, RE: WTF @ that random Goat
Posted by alexathens, Sun Mar-11-07 03:32 AM
i haven't seen the movie yet, but my problem with it exists and watching it won't change. my problem is when historical accounts of major points in history are taken and bastardised for the sake of entertainment.

as a greek, not a greek-american, not a greek-cypriot, but someone who has spent his entire life in athens, it pisses me off to see the stories of alexaner, of troy, of sparta ripped apart and fictionalised. this is OUR HISTORY and OUR MYTHOLOGY, for better or for worse, with warts and all, with homosexuality, with slavery, with slaughtering of millions, but also with great heroism, innovation, and the laying down of the foundations for the world as we know it today, in everything from medicine to politics to strategies of war. between the greeks, the romans and the egyptians and others you have legendary societies whose stories have become cannon-fodder for the latest producer-director-writer team to vandalise because they can't come up with original ideas anymore.

achilles made it all the way to the end of troy because god-forbid you waste the money you spent getting brad pitt by killing him off at the point when HISTORY DICTATES IT.
alexander conquered and ruled the land from Greece ALL THE WAY TO INDIA! and all Oliver stone could give us was his infatuation with his homosexual relationships (which wasn't out of the ordinary at the time) even after removing 8 MINUTES of man on man loving from the final cut.

and i'm not just taking my own greek side, in alexander it depicted king darius deserting his persian troops but history says it was the other way around. in 300 the finest fighting force in the world, the cream of the persian empire are shown as freaks who just came back from a marilyn manson concert. alexander barbarically burned down the entire city of persepolis but that wasn't mentioned in the movie.

in troy they had the gall, the audacity, the criminal negligence to massacre Homer's ILLYAD AND ODYSSEY for gods sake!!! is nothing sacred? a ten year war was reduced to a couple of weeks, people died in the battle of troy that survived long afterwards. achilles was supposed to be dead before the trojan horse was even built, so what was he doing in it, and in the battle of troy??? this isn't taking the god's out of the movie to make it more "realistic", that i could maybe understand even if homer's books are largely based on the intervention of the gods, this is changes for the sake of them.