Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectGrease
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=7601&mesg_id=7734
7734, Grease
Posted by johnbook, Fri Aug-22-03 07:36 PM
As much as this is my sister's favorite movie of all time, it has become a guilty pleasure for me too. It might have been the first time I ever heard a reference to "chicks" that would "cream", and the first time I heard "pussy" in a movie. The movie was based on the play, and it came out around the time when there was nostalgia for the 50's. Sha-Na-Na cracked the mainstream and had their own show, thus the reason why they're in the movie. On TV you had "Happy Days" and "Laverne & Shirley". A few years previous we had "American Graffiti", and now we had "Grease". Looking back, I think people felt the 70's was a time to be loose and free, and maybe they seeked the purity of the 50's. Yet as you can see in the film, the youth were far from being pure. C'mon, listening to rock & roll made you impure by default. Even the teachers were nasty.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

"Great album, and so good to hear labels like yourselves releasing the music you totally believe in, respect. Love the Flevans piano roller, and John Book's party breaks." -LTJ Bukem