Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectBeyonce
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=7601&mesg_id=7607
7607, Beyonce
Posted by johnbook, Wed Aug-20-03 09:38 AM
Didn't she comment about Strawberry Shortcake for the 80's one? I thought wait, by the time she was an impressionable kid, Strawberry Shortcake was gone.

VH-1, or for all intents and purposes MTV, has a way of patting themselves on the back, especially in the 80's shows. You know, 1981 was a big year, because on August 1, 1981 we had...

DUN.
DUN. DUN.
DUN. DUN.
DUN, DUNDUNDUN

MTV!!!

So whenever possible, MTV tooted their own horn.

The 70's shows have been good so far because let's face it, MTV was not in existence. The only music shows you had on TV were American Bandstand, Midnight Special, and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, and maybe the Jerry Lewis Telethon. For a lot of people, it's realizing that the only forms of entertainment you had were three channels (no one really considered PBS a "real" channel). Back then, you watched a movie at the theater and that was it. Your memories would come from the one time you saw the film, and it was over. It was the nerds who said "let's go see that movie one more time, maybe sneak in my Sanyo cassette recorder so we can memorize the lines".

Cable TV as we know it didn't hit until 1974, so it will be interesting to see if HBO (which was on for 16 hours a day) and CNN are mentioned for their impact to television.

As I'm watching the shows, it is hard to believe that for a lot of us, we grew up on three TV channels for years. My family has had cable for as long as I can remember, but "cable" channels were for the adults. We only had ABC, NBC, and CBS (although in Hawai'i we did have KIKU, channel 13, with Japanese programming that gave us shows like "Kikaida" and "Kaiman Rider").

When we wanted to know about the world outside of home and schools, it was TV that we gravitated to, and even with the limitations of three channels, we learned everything from "Schoolhouse Rock", "Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom", "Captain Kangaroo", and all the other children's shows. When the movie came on at 8pm, we went to sleep.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

"Great album, and so good to hear labels like yourselves releasing the music you totally believe in, respect. Love the Flevans piano roller, and John Book's party breaks." -LTJ Bukem