Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: He begins with "Look, I love the Coen Brothers." lol
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=61133&mesg_id=61210
61210, RE: He begins with "Look, I love the Coen Brothers." lol
Posted by MadDagoNH, Tue Jun-17-08 02:02 PM
When someone says, 'look, I like/love...' that statement is often followed with a 'but', either said explicitly, or implied. In this case, I think the 'but' was very much implied, and I read it as him taking a shot (not a huge, fuck you kinda shot, but a shot nonetheless) at the filmmaking style of the Coens. It just seems to be a judgment cast against that style, and it happens to be a judgment I disagree with in this case, especially following No Country For Old Men, which I thought was very much in tune with the horrific nature of the violence it featured.

I kinda felt the same way when Pelecanos criticized the comedic nature of violence in QT films as well. I think that a certain detachment when watching a certain style of film is okay, just as it's okay to realistically depict the horrific nature of similar incidences in work that's more dramatic.

I'm okay with laughing when Marvin gets shot in the face and crying when Wallace gets killed, basically.

------------------------------------------------------------------
2006-07 Zeno Memorial Cup winner: Chara SMASH

Dark grin, he can't help when he's happy, looks insane...