Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectThe Matrix: Revolutions Predictions?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=5707
5707, The Matrix: Revolutions Predictions?
Posted by TekzillaOhioSt, Fri Oct-24-03 08:13 AM
My roommate predicts that the so called 'real world' is actually just another part of The Matrix. (A fail-safe). He figured this because of what Neo did at the end of Reloaded when he destroyed those Sentinels.

What are your predictions?
5708, my prediction
Posted by BigWorm, Fri Oct-24-03 08:14 AM
The movie is going to suck balls.

1Love,
Shuggy
5709, i think Big Worm is right
Posted by natural, Fri Oct-24-03 08:37 AM
nm
5710, I predict he is wrong
Posted by Invisiblist, Fri Oct-24-03 10:28 AM
take this: http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16340
5711, I also think it will suck balls
Posted by RawLA, Fri Oct-24-03 10:35 AM

Hatred is like a double-edged sword. The more energy you put upon it, the deeper it penetrates you. © Me
5712, Good one...
Posted by unohoo, Wed Nov-05-03 02:27 PM
...it does.
5713, i predict that this movie is gonna be the shit
Posted by Esco, Fri Oct-24-03 08:49 AM
I also had the same feeling about the real world matrix shit but...idunno
5714, i concur, it'll suck
Posted by epluribusunum, Fri Oct-24-03 09:25 AM
and i think agent smith will be the good guy afterall
5715, magic neo and the unicolor trenchcoat
Posted by Iltigo, Fri Oct-24-03 09:26 AM
1)
i predict they will follow the "magic neo" theory that i am completely against. namely, the 'real world' is in fact real and much older than they know, and newo, since he comes from the machine world has power over them in the same way agent smith can have power over real world people (possesion of bane).

2)
everything will be explained, ad nausium. al of the phylosophical bable that people complained about wqil be explained and applied in the final installment

3)
neo will make the same phone cal he made at the end of the first movie. meaming that they events of reloaded and revolutions occur before this. reason: the timestamp on the phone call at the end of the matrix is more than a year after the first phone cal that cypher and trinity make. it can be assumed that the events that take place in the first movie happen witihin a few weeks.

more when i get home

SHMEA?!

just let your soooooulglooooooow
5716, a matrix in a matrix
Posted by Afrotec, Fri Oct-24-03 10:11 AM

5717, no matrix-within-matrix
Posted by Invisiblist, Fri Oct-24-03 10:27 AM
I'm not buying it. That would be lame.

I predict that the humans and machines attempt to live in harmony again.

As far as the philosophy stuff, I don't think it will attempt to answer those questions. That woulda efeat the purpose of presenting them. The Wachowskis aren't as preachy as they are made out to be. They asked question, they never tried to give us an answer.

My last prediction is that it will make a lot of money.
5718, RE: no matrix-within-matrix
Posted by TekzillaOhioSt, Sat Oct-25-03 03:06 AM
>I'm not buying it. That would be lame.
>
>I predict that the humans and machines attempt to live in
>harmony again.

i dont see that. but i guess its a possibility. if you watch the animatrix you can see that some of the rebels are converting the machines to help them.

5719, Neither a fistful of lard nor a bottle of lube...
Posted by heiro5, Fri Oct-24-03 12:44 PM
will it have for you. But that won't keep it from having its sights on your ASS, for a hard, non-janey-ass-wizard-style ass reaming.

As far as the question of the "real" world, to me it looks like Keanu is psychically conected to the matrix, and he's exploding machines in the actual real world by overdriving them in the matrix with his mind.

I'm tired of stretching money out like elastic. --Big Pooh
5720, The architect already let it be known
Posted by MANHOODLUM, Sat Oct-25-03 03:26 AM
That the "real world" is already, to a degree, a controlled enviroment. They knew some people wouldn't except the program, so they had to create a kind've "daycare" for them...give THEM something to do, like think they're saving the world.

The machines/programs knew all along what was happening.

With that said, I think at the very end of "Revolutions", Neo will wake-up in his attic apartment on the upper-west side, and say, "Wow, what a WEIRD dream!" HA!!!!!!!!!
5721, RE: The architect already let it be known
Posted by Unda, Sat Nov-01-03 03:13 PM
>That the "real world" is already, to a degree, a controlled
>enviroment. They knew some people wouldn't except the
>program, so they had to create a kind've "daycare" for
>them...give THEM something to do, like think they're saving
>the world.
>
>The machines/programs knew all along what was happening.
>
>With that said, I think at the very end of "Revolutions",
>Neo will wake-up in his attic apartment on the upper-west
>side, and say, "Wow, what a WEIRD dream!" HA!!!!!!!!!

And then he'll go to see if Patrick Duffy is in his shower.

:)
5722, And Suzanne Pleshette will be in his bed
Posted by ArtVandelay, Sun Nov-02-03 10:18 PM

5723, RE: The Matrix: Revolutions Predictions?
Posted by tully_blanchard, Sat Oct-25-03 06:50 AM
it was all a dream. remember, shit didnt start until he fell asleep at his pc

Tully Blanchard..........a true Apollo legend
5724, RE: dream
Posted by TekzillaOhioSt, Sun Oct-26-03 04:28 PM
yea right. there's no way that after all this build up and all the money they spent on these three flicks that they are gonna use that cop out.

5725, straight super mario bros. 2
Posted by Invisiblist, Tue Nov-04-03 09:54 PM
wouldn't work in the movies...but it was dope for a game
5726, the matrix-within-a-matrix scenario is such a copout.
Posted by Mosaic, Sat Oct-25-03 07:46 AM
i'll be disappointed if that's the case.

my hope was that quasi-in-line with Simulcra & Simulation (i haven't read the whole thing) that there's a convergence of "hyperreality" (or simulated reality) with real reality.

either that, or that Neo entering Agent Smith at the end of the Matrix fundamentally altered things with those two characters.

an interesting article:

http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0581.html
5727, jesus CHRIST
Posted by araQual, Mon Oct-27-03 02:05 AM
i've been reading that page for like 3 hours STRAIGHT. it's actually making me wanna go watch Reloaded again (once @ the cinema was enuff for me). dude raises some very VERY well thought-out points. but for all his ramblings, all that philosophy and depth just doesn't come across on film the way the first Matrix did. it just seems more contrived. now that i KNOW there's such a complex film hidden beneath Reloaded, it just makes me even MORE mad that the cinematic results were dodgy at best.

V.
5728, ... but the princess is in another castle!
Posted by SensitiveWhiteKid, Sun Oct-26-03 04:53 PM

5729, lol
Posted by betelgeuse, Mon Oct-27-03 03:18 AM
you just made my day.

-----------------------------

what!? i'm not a charter member you say?
well, i've been a posting okayplayer since
june 7th 2001 under the alias 'purpleone'
so, what does that make me!?
5730, RE: ... but the princess is in another castle!
Posted by FuriousFreddy, Mon Oct-27-03 08:32 AM
lmao
priceless line...
5731, I guess I am as jaded as the next guy
Posted by DawgEatah, Sun Oct-26-03 10:40 PM
I predict it will be disappointing, but will see it anyway with a weak sense of hope... much like I see Star Wars films these days.

Now, back to the rock I crawled out from under.

§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§

Gotta love the !

"To everyone out there, who's a little different/I say damn a magazine, these are gods fingerprints."
~Brother Ali

"A diaphram pussy diver, clear the floor/I am Woman-izer. Hear me whore."
~Xaul Zan

While everyone was trying to out-do the last man/I was just a ghost trying to chase some Ms. Pac-man
~Slug

"When a boy writes off the world, it's done with sloppy, misspelled words. If/a girl writes off the world, it's done in cursive./i'm searching for a cure."
~Sage Francis

§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§
5732, *looks to see if monica will be in it*
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sun Oct-26-03 10:42 PM
yup.

damn!!! they got my money again.
5733, RE: *looks to see if monica will be in it*
Posted by Bishop, Mon Oct-27-03 08:15 AM
my thoughts exactly.
5734, I'll love it
Posted by Nettrice, Mon Oct-27-03 03:31 AM
I've noticed that there are people who are riveted by the underpinnings of Reloaded and love to discuss the symbolic meanings of certain things in the movie. I am one of them. I loved reading that kurzweilai.net article and I will take the time to pass it around to others who enjoy exploring the movie.
5735, i think that too
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Mon Oct-27-03 07:53 AM
and i think neo will die.
5736, Is that Erykah is your avy 3F?
Posted by ochosigrand, Fri Oct-31-03 12:22 PM
?
5737, RE: Is that Erykah is your avy 3F?
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Tue Nov-04-03 07:03 AM
yea
5738, up
Posted by TekzillaOhioSt, Thu Oct-30-03 09:29 AM
cuz im pumped. 6 days.
5739, my crazy theory
Posted by atruhead, Fri Oct-31-03 01:50 AM
morpheus is actually a despotic warmonger and the first 2 movies neo has been fighting his battle.

but in the end morpheus' intentions will prove to be just as evil as smith and whoever they're fighting against

behind all of the ass kicking and convoluted plotlines there seems to be a story about power and control.
5740, have you seen the animatrix?
Posted by Iltigo, Fri Oct-31-03 02:37 AM
it makes you side with the machines....

in the neo gensis (somthing like that)...you side witht he machines.

we started the war, but they finished it. the matrix is the only way we can survive since the planet is uninhabitable (do to nuclear strikes and the blanketing of the sun by us)

SHMEA?!

just let your soooooulglooooooow
5741, RE: have you seen the animatrix?
Posted by TekzillaOhioSt, Fri Oct-31-03 07:27 PM

>we started the war, but they finished it. the matrix is the
>only way we can survive since the planet is uninhabitable
>(do to nuclear strikes and the blanketing of the sun by us)

yea but did you see the matrix revolutions trailer? there's a clip of a ship flying in the real world...but you can see the moon in the sky.

i dont think that whatever they did to "scorch" the sky was permanent. eventually it has to wear off.
5742, trinity is the architect
Posted by SugarCane, Fri Oct-31-03 09:47 AM
i'm just bullshittin. i have no predictions because it could go in any direction
5743, gonna be on some total recall shit
Posted by pdafunk, Fri Oct-31-03 11:47 AM
where neo ends up being the creator of the matrix who has programmed himself into the matrix as 'the one' to either make up for his guilt for bringing the terror of the machines or to keep the system i check. that's why he's already made all his decisions but can't understand them. and agent smith is actually the one and is supposed to take him out. just playing. no idea.
5744, Actually, that sounds kind've interesting
Posted by MANHOODLUM, Sat Nov-01-03 05:07 AM
Not brilliant, but your onto something.
5745, interesting scenario.
Posted by meetMEat12, Tue Nov-04-03 07:47 PM

5746, I noticed something about the outdoor realworld scene
Posted by The Damaja, Sat Nov-01-03 10:27 AM
Look how the shot is framed when Neo turns round to face the camera and the approaching sentinels. Trinity is standing behind him, but she's passed through some twisted metal scenery, which is a square shape. Like a TV. ie. Neo's in a higher reality than her.

Plus it kept zooming through a TV screen into the architect's room.

So this lends itself to the matrix-within-a-matrix idea. Which yes, would be lame. But like Manhoodlum said, didn't the architect SAY that the "real world" is stil controlled - because that's where the 1% who reject the matrix go. And obviously the Zions don't know that this is the case.

Maybe it has some grounding in Descartes philosophy. Infinite regress or something.
5747, Neo will die...
Posted by ZooTown74, Sat Nov-01-03 10:42 AM
I'm guessing, based on the ominous tag line on the posters, and this from Keanu:

"...Acceptance. 'Everything that has a beginning has an end.' Sad, but ultimately beautiful. For Neo."

Sometime next year, I want to be able to buy all three movies, packaged with The Animatrix, and either have the video game included in the box set, or at least a guide to all of the things in the video game that tie into the movie. That way, all of the "it sucked" cats can sit down, shut up, and put all of the pieces of the puzzle together at once. If anyone at Warner Home Video is listening...

"Life is pain. Get used to it."
-(The Real) Charlie Baltimore, "The Long Kiss Goodnight"

"systematic overthrow of the underclass
Hollywood conjures images of the past
new world needs spirituality that will last
I've seen the future, and it will be."
-Prince (as Batman), 1989
5748, RE: I saw it
Posted by mrshow, Sun Nov-02-03 09:35 PM
Half of you guys' ideas would have been better than the actual ending.
5749, Neo was just using some of his product
Posted by mikeONE, Sun Nov-02-03 10:07 PM
he was high...
it's all a dream (and he never read WordUp! magazine)
5750, RE: Can Trinity Not be A Punk in this One?!?!?
Posted by OshunsChile, Mon Nov-03-03 06:10 AM
I truly hope that the storyline is closer to the original...
MOST IMPORTANTLY! I am going to need for Trinity not to turn into some peace lovin wifey like she began to shift towards in Reloaded...I mean what the hell was all of that about tryin to convice Neo not to go into battle?!?! SO LAME! What is she gonna do in the next one, pull out a dashiki and some love beads and paint a peace sign on her cheek? I mean she was a soulja in the first one, willin to die for the cause, a true revolutionary...in the 2nd one they made her in the words of Gwen Stefani "just a girl" who happens to wear latex and fights a lil bit...I almost walked out of the theatre when she pulled that shit! UGH!
5751, Does look like the humans have a chance?
Posted by Brooklynbeef, Mon Nov-03-03 09:41 AM
The quickness of the drones is frightening. It does look like they have enough weaponry? I like a other oracle she had a little street sassiness the current one lacks.
5752, mopheus is gonna die
Posted by richieEarl, Mon Nov-03-03 11:11 AM
i can just feel it
5753, Even lamer than the second
Posted by Tiger verse Crane, Mon Nov-03-03 11:54 AM
pretty much confirming that they should've just let the first movie stand on its own. The plot will be hyper-expository, there'll be huge letdowns in all the gnostic-religious/Philip K Dick angles, and the action will get pretty fucking boring after the first forty minutes.

It'll pull an Episode 2: be so mindnumbingly boring that people will have to admit the previous one sucked and that they're just out to ruin the original's good name.
5754, you peeped it?
Posted by Brooklynbeef, Mon Nov-03-03 12:18 PM
?
5755, Naw, guy
Posted by Tiger verse Crane, Mon Nov-03-03 04:14 PM
I just got that see-the-future eye. This post was asking for expectations/predictions right?
5756, RE: Naw, guy
Posted by Brooklynbeef, Tue Nov-04-03 12:11 PM
>I just got that see-the-future eye. This post was asking
>for expectations/predictions right?

Tru, then what's the next numbers for NY state Lottery? :-)
5757, It will probably be matrix-within-a-matrix
Posted by Wonderl33t, Mon Nov-03-03 02:06 PM
After Reloaded I don't have high hopes.

"This is like a Rorschach test." --Don of The Don & Mike Show on a certain photo of Rosie O'Donnell

The Fellowship of the Fins:
absence, Al_Tru_Ist, Drewmathic, Ir_Cuba, LML, Robert, wonderl33t, xenophobia

Illgaluminati - Our guns say "REPLICA" on the barrel.
http://dotmatrixfilms.vze.com/
5758, So far, the reviews have not been kind.
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Nov-03-03 06:15 PM
Variety's review wasn't good.

Entertainment Weekly gave it a C+.

Uh oh.

"Life is pain. Get used to it."
-(The Real) Charlie Baltimore, "The Long Kiss Goodnight"

"systematic overthrow of the underclass
Hollywood conjures images of the past
new world needs spirituality that will last
I've seen the future, and it will be."
-Prince (as Batman), 1989
5759, Heads up on your avy
Posted by Brooklynbeef, Tue Nov-04-03 12:34 PM
Good Album.
5760, Haha Rolling Stone review
Posted by ArtVandelay, Mon Nov-03-03 08:10 PM

Two Stars

At the risk of understatement, The Matrix Revolutions sucks. It's not that the final chapter in the trilogy doesn't have stunts and visual wizardry to drop your jaw. It's just that it all adds up to a supersize nothing: "the big bubkis," to lift a bit of Yiddish from the script by Andy and Larry Wachowski.

You don't have to be an Oracle to know Revolutions will make a pile, as did the bloated Reloaded, the first sequel, released in May. Who doesn't want to see what happens to Neo (Keanu Reeves), the One chosen to liberate men from machines? To all but fanatics, though, the disappointment is crushing. Cliched, repetitive, recycled from other movies and high on its own grandiosity, Revolutions picks up with Neo as he's caught between the real world and the Matrix. It's up to Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss), who shares Neo's thing for kinky latex, to rescue him. To do so, she and Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) scorpion-kick the Merovingian (Lambert Wilson), the French Little Nicky. Then Neo is off to see the Oracle (the wonderful Mary Alice, replacing the late Gloria Foster).

Back in Zion, the humans climb into mechanical contraptions, like the one Sigourney Weaver used in Aliens, to face the attack of the clones (I mean, sentinels). It's a fourteen-minute scene and the highlight of the movie. But would you believe this? Neo sits it out. That's right, he and Trinity fly to Machine City to talk to the big giant head about a truce. Only Morpheus and Niobe (Jada Pinkett Smith), his ex-lover, are more out of it. They're piloting a tin-can hovercraft through a sewer line, shaking their bodies to mimic a bumpy ride in a scene that would shame Ed Wood.

Everything leads up to the Super Burly Brawl in the rain between Neo and Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving), who has replicated himself enough to populate a small city. I stand firm in my admiration for Weaving. Just to hear him say "Mrs. Anderssssson" is a creepy thrill. But I think I've seen one Smith too many. Even a classic shot of Neo's fist connecting to Smith's face feels like an echo. Poor Keanu. As tragedies pile up -- one is straight out of The English Patient -- Neo sobs with body-wracking emotion. To put it kindly, this is not playing to Reeves' strengths.

As for the big-payoff ending -- the equivalent of a Viking funeral -- it reduces the Wachowskis' take on the Judeo-Christian ethic to Hollywood gloss. Cueing the music, the sunshine and the hint of another sequel can't distract us from the fact that nothing is revealed. Neo, dude, you blew it.
5761, yea but rolling stones also called bubba sparxxx
Posted by TekzillaOhioSt, Tue Nov-04-03 04:33 AM
's debut one of the top 10 albums of the year. after that i dont consider their opinions valid anymore.
5762, i am loving all the reviews
Posted by RobOne4, Mon Nov-03-03 11:18 PM
i knew this movie would suck, and it looks like it does. I wanna see how matrix diehards protect this one like they did Reloaded.
5763, RE: i am loving all the reviews
Posted by OminousEther, Tue Nov-04-03 03:28 AM
You kats are acting like this movie raped and molested your mothers, ya'll need to calm the fuck down and wait for Wed to see the movie for yourselves.
5764, COFUCKINGSIZZLE
Posted by Invisiblist, Tue Nov-04-03 10:04 PM
it takes a special post to get "cofuckingsizzle", by the way...
5765, RE: COFUCKINGSIZZLE
Posted by OminousEther, Wed Nov-05-03 01:49 AM
Thx for the Co-Sizzle
5766, When I was in London, I met the Prop Supervisor..
Posted by Mica, Tue Nov-04-03 06:15 AM
well, he said he was the prop supervisor, so this may or may not be true..

apparently all the black folks die, and the mother sentanel kills everyone except Neo and Trinity, who have to restart the humna race like adam and eve...

5767, if what you say is true....
Posted by Invisiblist, Tue Nov-04-03 10:05 PM
then you're trash for putting that on here. Warn people for spoilers. Hopefully, it's not true.
5768, so.. you realize that the "Prop Supervisor"..
Posted by Bishop, Thu Nov-06-03 10:05 AM
lied to you?
5769, "matrix in the matrix": not happining
Posted by meetMEat12, Tue Nov-04-03 07:50 PM
from eonline:
"Okay, but what if the "real world" is actually another matrix? A matrix within a matrix? Huh, what about that? Isn't that a little too obvious? They'd never do that, right? Right."

according to several reviews, what everyone thinks isn't going to happen, so rest assure. hopefully we'll be surprised.

5770, RE: The Matrix: Revolutions Predictions?
Posted by phenompyrus, Wed Nov-05-03 07:23 AM
it will be better than the second one.
but then again that isnt much.
i didnt expect much, but after the trailer it looked better.
5771, I saw it...........
Posted by Allah, Wed Nov-05-03 09:17 AM
WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THAT????????????
FUCK!
5772, RE: I saw it...........
Posted by OminousEther, Wed Nov-05-03 09:45 AM
I saw this today at a matinae, I really enjoyed it. The film ended the way I had a feeling it would. Not much was explained at the end, I believe the Wachowski brothers did this on purpose; they most likely wanted the viewer to draw their own conclusions from watching the film. Much like with religion, all the answers are not known, you must derive your own interpretations from the information which is given and known.

I think this film, much like Reloaded will polarize viewers. Some will love, like, or hate it. The ones who will hate it are the ones who go into the film expecting all the answers to be revealed on a shiny platter. I here to tell that not everything is explained, but what is giving should be sufficient enough for you to connect dots and draw your own conclusions.

To me the Matrix trilogy ultimatly boils down to four things, choice, purpose, love, faith/belief, and sacrifice.

That is all from me.

5773, you got it complete wrong!
Posted by Allah, Wed Nov-05-03 10:11 AM
I think the cemented to much shit, even that got damn
"architect/oracle converstation" can't make up for the bullshit
they pulled in this movie.
5774, RE: you got it complete wrong!
Posted by OminousEther, Wed Nov-05-03 10:17 AM
No you just didn't get it, that is why "you" are mad.

I got what I wanted from these films, a great time.
5775, whatever "cypher"
Posted by Allah, Wed Nov-05-03 10:30 AM
have a great time in your delusion.....
5776, RE: whatever "cypher"
Posted by OminousEther, Wed Nov-05-03 05:34 PM
I deluded just because I got the ideas of the film? Man kiss my ass and get a life, learn how to use your brain.

And with that I am done with this thread. I will not post in a thread where I will be verbally harrassed for having "My own opinions". I'm sorry ya'll folks didn't enjoy the film, but I did; end of story. Have fun bashing :)
5777, i like your summary ...
Posted by Mosaic, Wed Nov-05-03 12:30 PM
>To me the Matrix trilogy ultimatly boils down to four
>things, choice, purpose, love, faith/belief, and sacrifice.

on its own and i like it more than Revolutions. i didn't expect to have everything explained, but i think they just dropped the ball and left us with an unltimately unsatisfying movie. at the very least, i read theories about Revolutions right after the release of Reloaded that i thought were more interesting than what i actually saw.

5778, RE: i like your summary ...
Posted by OminousEther, Wed Nov-05-03 05:36 PM
Thanks, I see someone respects those that express their "own" opinions.
5779, I'm no math wizard, but....
Posted by ArtVandelay, Wed Nov-05-03 02:08 PM
"four things, choice, purpose, love, faith/belief, and sacrifice"

?
5780, LOL
Posted by pdafunk, Thu Nov-06-03 06:03 AM
on some yogi berra shit right there.
5781, I saw it...loved it..... seeing it again tomorrow
Posted by ne_atl, Wed Nov-05-03 01:15 PM
prepare to be amazed....

"If it ain't dope then don't spit it... Don't be sensitive and get on the defensive, just practice your penmanship" - Canibus

Inaugural Member, OkaySports Hall of Fame...and a disgruntled ATL sports fan
5782, SAW IT TOO ......
Posted by bongani, Wed Nov-05-03 05:25 PM

Judging by the end I think the Wachoski brothers are hoping for another series of sequels perhaps once the Trilogy hype has died down. One thing I could not understand though with Matrix Reloaded .... The architect's conversation with Neo was too deep and too mathematical for many, including myself, to comprehend. Perhaps that was done on perpose. The Matrix draws parallels with the Bible. The One = Jesus Crist, Zion = Canan, The Nebuchanazer = Noah's Arch, The Matrix = Earth, Agent Smith = Lucifer, Morpheus = Prophet and there are many more examples. This movie is going to keep a lot of people talking long after it's graced our movie theatres.
5783, noah's ark?
Posted by cereffusion, Wed Nov-05-03 05:39 PM
what animals and when did it rain?

Lucifer? What about the Merovingian as a "devil?" Or The Architect?

5784, RE: noah's ark?
Posted by bongani, Wed Nov-05-03 06:13 PM

In the first two Matrix the Nebuchanazer symbolised (in a Biblical sense) the vessel of hope and new beginnings just like the Ark. Noah started a whole new population. Lucifer was banished from heaven and wreaked havock on earth - like Agent Smith did in the Matrix. This is just my own interpretation of the movie.

5785, RE: noah's ark?
Posted by OminousEther, Wed Nov-05-03 06:16 PM
>
>In the first two Matrix the Nebuchanazer symbolised (in a
>Biblical sense) the vessel of hope and new beginnings just
>like the Ark. Noah started a whole new population. Lucifer
>was banished from heaven and wreaked havock on earth - like
>Agent Smith did in the Matrix. This is just my own
>interpretation of the movie.
I see this also.
5786, My prediction was right on!
Posted by Nettrice, Wed Nov-05-03 05:13 PM
I LOVED it and here's why....

SPOILERS BELOW (in other words stop reading here)

1) Life goes on after the battle of good and evil, the wheels keep turning and Neo does transmute the Matrix by the power of his intention into pure intelligence. Anyone notice that Neo could still see even after he was supposedly dead? The oracle even inferred that Neo was not gone forever...he lived his purpose for that time and the war came to an end...for a moment. Peace is not permanent in real life, so it's fair to think there will be other wars.

I liken Neo to a spiritual warrior that slowly comes to realize his potential and go beyond it. True warriors are at peace even in the midst of events and it took losing his sight and Trinity to be able to look inward and discover what to do.

In this story there is an end but the battle between good and evil continues in other stories/lives.

2) Choice. At the end, when Neo was laid out, still trying to fight, Smith got frustrated and asked him why he would not just give up...why did he keep fighting? Neo answered, "Because I choose to." Such is real life. The Matrix existed to control people and destroy anyone who broke out. This is what the system could not predict. Choice was the human flaw and it had no way of controlling it.

Even as Smith proliferated he was only as strong as one. Smith thought by becoming a mass of clones he could take over the Matrix. He (mass), too, could not control the mind and spirit of Neo who was the leader of many but only in control of his own self.

I also liked how Neo chose to save both Zion and the Matrix. This compassion and reverence for all of life is what allowed him to save the world...indeed the Oracle said that if Neo did not succeed then the whole world was doomed.

3) I liked the action and all the eye candy and I give John Gaeta his props.

4) Neo=individual (empowered spiritual warrior), Matrix=system, Neo/Smith=duality, Neo/Trinity=love...all these and more spiritual principles were explored in the trilogy. This let me know that it was all connected and symbiotic, just like anyone attempting to forge a path for themselves in the world.

Finally, the ending picked up my spirits and it was inspiring to me. I'll see it again...and again!
5787, RE: My prediction was right on!
Posted by Nettrice, Wed Nov-05-03 05:15 PM
>This let me know that it was all connected and
>symbiotic, just like anyone attempting to forge a path for
>themselves in the world.

Also, in order for there to be peace someone must find true love, compassion and reverence...doing as little to harm anyone or anything in the process.
5788, RE: My prediction was right on!
Posted by muzicle, Wed Nov-05-03 05:27 PM
I agree, co-sign, watch and take what you want for the conclusion. It's a war movie, behind everything else. Everything else is extra to me, and I liked it.

"This ship's got a fat ass" (Niobe).
"Slow down dammit, this ain't the Logos"
5789, Oh and one more thing...
Posted by Nettrice, Wed Nov-05-03 05:42 PM
...since I am still processing and I am on a roll...

I think the whole movie is another way of exploring post-modern life and spirituality, under the high-tech is a network that forms an endless chain of cause and effect, action and reaction.

The fact that Neo cannot remember his purpose at first or the past does not wipe his karmic memory. All along it was his choice and as he became more aware of himself as an individual he became more empowered to overcome adversity and fulfill that purpose. In the movie, he struggled but at the end blindness couldn't even hold him down.

"Let go of this everywhere and this something, in
exchange for this nowhere and this nothing. Do not worry
if your senses cannot understand this nothing
for this is why I love it the better...Who is it that calls
it nothing? Surely it is our outer man and not our inner
man. Out inner man calls it ALL." - from "The Cloud of Unknowing"
5790, RE: Oh and one more thing...
Posted by OminousEther, Wed Nov-05-03 05:50 PM
I loved that little bit of dialogue between Niobe and Morpheous

Morpheous: You never belived in "The One"
Niobe: I still don't, I believe in him (Neo)

eventhough she didn't believe in the prophecy she still had hope/faith in Neo the man
5791, RE: Oh and one more thing...
Posted by Nettrice, Wed Nov-05-03 05:55 PM
>eventhough she didn't believe in the prophecy she still had
>hope/faith in Neo the man

That's because she saw his actions first hand, not what others thought he was about. She followed him because she knew him and knew what he was about.
5792, RE: Oh and one more thing...
Posted by OminousEther, Wed Nov-05-03 05:58 PM
>>eventhough she didn't believe in the prophecy she still had
>>hope/faith in Neo the man
>
>That's because she saw his actions first hand, not what
>others thought he was about. She followed him because she
>knew him and knew what he was about.
Yup tis is true. I liked that ultimatly the people Zion had to stand up and fight for their beliefs. Neo didn't do everything on his own.
5793, RE: My prediction was right on!
Posted by OminousEther, Wed Nov-05-03 05:46 PM
>I LOVED it and here's why....
>
>SPOILERS BELOW (in other words stop reading here)
>
>
>
>1) Life goes on after the battle of good and evil, the
>wheels keep turning and Neo does transmute the Matrix by the
>power of his intention into pure intelligence. Anyone
>notice that Neo could still see even after he was supposedly
>dead?
Yeah I believe this was due to the red candy (Garden of Eden's apple) that the Oracle gave him in Reloaded.

The oracle even inferred that Neo was not gone
>forever...he lived his purpose for that time and the war
>came to an end...for a moment. Peace is not permanent in
>real life, so it's fair to think there will be other wars.
Ressurection of Jesus maybe?
5794, RE: My prediction was right on!
Posted by Nettrice, Wed Nov-05-03 05:53 PM
>>Anyone
>>notice that Neo could still see even after he was supposedly
>>dead?
>Yeah I believe this was due to the red candy (Garden of
>Eden's apple) that the Oracle gave him in Reloaded.

Well, I think the Oracle was tempting him, testing him with the candy...finally he knew that he no longer needed the Oracle to see and he no longer needed her candy and cookies (comforts). In fact, he no longer needed her eyes or his own eyes. Remember how important it was for the Merovingian to get the Oracle's eyes? Neo decided he no longer needed them and this made him stronger.

>Ressurection of Jesus maybe?

I think it's more than that. There's references to Buddha, Christ and others.
5795, Thank you, but also...
Posted by sithlord, Wed Nov-05-03 07:03 PM
Some folks in another post were bitching about loose plot points, but okay, what plot points were not tied up? Persephone was just window dressing in Reloaded, but she just happened to help things along. So what was that about? Yeah, she's hot to look at, but she's a program! What can she do besides what she was designed to do? But that was never explained.
As far as the ending, when you think about it, unless the machines won (which they didn't) or the humans won, which they couldn't have, it ended the only way it could end. Its open ended, but
SPOILER ALERT...kinda
The architect and the Oracle were playing around with the whole thing and the architect said that the minds that wanted to be freed would be freed and the ones that wanted to remain (like Cypher...and probably my sister, if this joint was real) could remain. The Oracle's whole deal was choice. Instead of being forced to do things, which was what Neo refused to accept, everyone had a choice. She was tired of the old way of doing things, which was creating a Zion and a "one" who gave that false sense of hope to the human race, only to see things destroyed. Watch the Second Renaissance again, and then watch the first two. After that, go see this one again, and if you still don't like it, for whatever reason...well...that's your opinion.
The question would be whether or not human nature would lead the surviving Zionites to try and come back to the surface and take over again, or would they just decide to live in Zion and jack in whenever to do whatever.
I thought the shit was good, but then again, I can see the good points in Star Wars...I mean, they're all just movies, not life changing experiences. Plus if you think this flick sucked, go see Underworld and then Scary Movie 3 and then check this again.
ANOTHER SPOILER:
In case you missed it, the end of Neo was the end of Smith. In the first flick, when Neo merged with Smith, he became the positive and Smith became the negative. Its just like math, -1 and 1 equal 0. Once Smith merged with Neo, Smith could no longer exist. Neo figured that out because he couldn't finish Smith and Smith couldn't finish him. Its mathematics.
The next "one" will probably be the one that merges the machine and human world together for better or for worst.
In the first flick the Oracle told Neo he'd have to choose, and that was consistent with what happened here. Everything in Reloaded was the inciting incident for this one. That's my OPINION and what I got out of it.
Forget the philosophy for a second and think about the things that this flick and the Terminator films say about human nature. Philosophy has so many different interpretations, but human nature is just that and to me, that's what these flicks represent.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. He was right about the second part."
5796, RE: Thank you, but also...
Posted by Nettrice, Thu Nov-06-03 02:07 AM
>Persephone was just window dressing in Reloaded, but she
>just happened to help things along. So what was that about?
>Yeah, she's hot to look at, but she's a program! What can
>she do besides what she was designed to do? But that was
>never explained.

She was eye candy and a filler. People made her out to be more important than she was.

>The architect and the Oracle were playing around with the
>whole thing and the architect said that the minds that
>wanted to be freed would be freed and the ones that wanted
>to remain (like Cypher...and probably my sister, if this
>joint was real) could remain.

It's all just a playground, anyway. You get to decide how you want to play.

>The question would be whether or not human nature would lead
>the surviving Zionites to try and come back to the surface
>and take over again, or would they just decide to live in
>Zion and jack in whenever to do whatever.

Only the ones that come from the Matrix can jack in.

>In case you missed it, the end of Neo was the end of Smith.
>In the first flick, when Neo merged with Smith, he became
>the positive and Smith became the negative. Its just like
>math, -1 and 1 equal 0. Once Smith merged with Neo, Smith
>could no longer exist. Neo figured that out because he
>couldn't finish Smith and Smith couldn't finish him. Its
>mathematics.

But even technology/science is nothing but nature. Duality is a theme that has been explored time and time again, for most of humankind's existence, esp. in our stories.

>Forget the philosophy for a second and think about the
>things that this flick and the Terminator films say about
>human nature. Philosophy has so many different
>interpretations, but human nature is just that and to me,
>that's what these flicks represent.

Nature has many interpretations, as well. What I beleive is different from what others do. To me revolutions was another way to explore human nature (post modernism), in all her forms and all the issues therein.

>"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, the world is a fine place and
>worth fighting for. He was right about the second part."

I like this quote.
5797, RE: Thank you, but also...
Posted by sithlord, Thu Nov-06-03 03:35 AM
Thanks. I appreciate that whole post...
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. He was right about the second part."
5798, Great Analysis... This sums it up...
Posted by Big TruE, Thu Nov-06-03 05:53 AM
Neo is The 1
Smith is the -1
them merging = 0
0 = Balance
Balance = Peace

dope story... Anyone notice how much astrology was dropped in the movie dialogue? That in itself is a whole thread by itself...
5799, RE: My prediction was right on!
Posted by Hitokiri, Thu Nov-06-03 12:09 PM
not tryna nitpick or nothin but in the garden of eden, it was a Quince, not an apple.
5800, I Officially Hated it. Trilogy Ruined.
Posted by DawgEatah, Thu Nov-06-03 05:04 AM
No disrespect to those who enjoyed it. I'm glad you could stomach it and get something out of it.

To me it was just psuedo-intellectual rubbish riddled with plot-holes, logic errors and extremely poor pacing, hack directing and terribly corny dialogue. Oh and bad acting.

Here is the review I posted in GD:

WARNING: IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN REVOLUTIONS, I URGE YOU NOT TO READ THIS REVIEW. IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY SPOILERS PER SE, BUT I WOULDN'T WANT TO SPOIL IT FOR YOU WITH MY NEGATIVE COMMENTS.
Not to shit on anyone's opinion.... but, IMO... Omigod was it was a steaming piece of dogshit!

Reloaded one was crap too, but there was hope that Revolutions would tie it all together and make the second one seem better. Well it DID make the second one seem better... by being so utterly terrible that it made the second look not-so-shitty by comparion. Reloaded is better cuz there was is at least hope. After Revolutions... there is no hope. Wow.... i feel like a Zionite.

The only good Matrix is the 1st one. The 2nd two films completely ruin the whole concept of the franchise.

The Wachowski Brothers really effed it all up. This is the third worst installment of a Trilogy since.... let's put it this way... Godfather III, Highlander III and House Party 3 were all better. I feel they even trumped George Lucas on this one. They took a popcorn action flick that was actually kinda clever and tried to make an intellectual and moral saga out of it. they failed.

Time and Money I will never get back.

Again, this is just my opinion... well my opinion and that of everyone in the sold out theater and all the folks i know and who's opinion i respect. At the end of the film when everyone would normally cheer, there was a collective awkward sigh of disgust. No joke.

Again.... I am the type of cat who loves these kinds of films and went in kind of knowing that it would suck... but went anyway. Just like I will see Star Wars Episode III even though I know it will only disappoint. I am sick that way.

IN OTHER WORDS... Go see it and try and have fun and form your own opinion.

Well... at least there is LOTR: ROTK This is MY Trilogy! At least I KNOW that story doesn't suck! Unless a monkey flying a spaceship doesn't land and save the day in the last five minutes, it should be gold.

Ok, I need to go take a breather.

In with the Butterflies. Out with the bees.

i got nothing.

<==== I'm the new phenomenon like white girls with ass! (c) Luda

Behold, the !

“If you want to make an audience laugh, you dress a man up like an old lady and push her down the stairs. If you want to make comedy writers laugh, you push an actual old lady down the stairs.”
~Tina Fey

"There's 8 million ways to stretch words around beats/and 6 million rappers share the same 3."
~Brother Ali

5801, You know...
Posted by MiQL, Thu Nov-06-03 12:49 PM
I was really hoping for you to specify.

5802, so, what, NOBODY saw the starship troopers, hulk
Posted by teapoetess, Thu Nov-06-03 07:47 AM
similarities? lol
5803, Revolutions.
Posted by Hitokiri, Thu Nov-06-03 12:20 PM
Personally, i loved it and for the same reasons Nettrice did. I think people came into the movie looking for the wrong things. i came in not expecting anything, not as in i expected it to suck, but...just not having any preconcieved notions as to what would happen or what would or wouldn't be explained. I left very pleased.

SPOILERS:

What I didn't like was the death of Trinity, and that Neo didn't return to Zion(he ain't dead ya'll). The punch(you know what punch) was the dopest use of SFX EVER. I was hoping that when Smith was taking over Neo that when the black goo had cleared, it would've been Neo standing there... I don't fully understand Sati--how she was conceived and how she can made that sunrise but... There is no line in the world that could've been better and more meaningful than when Neo, after being asked why he wouldn't stay down and why he kept fighting, said "Because i choose to" my favorite line in the movie...my one of my favorite lines ever, especially in the context of these movies.

END SPOILERS

I thought it was great... i give it a B+ to an A-.
5804, Ditto for me
Posted by Nettrice, Thu Nov-06-03 12:34 PM
>after being asked why he wouldn't
>stay down and why he kept fighting, said "Because i choose
>to" my favorite line in the movie...my one of my favorite
>lines ever, especially in the context of these movies.
>
>END SPOILERS
>
>
>
>I thought it was great... i give it a B+ to an A-.

5805, THAT WAS TRASH
Posted by TekzillaOhioSt, Thu Nov-06-03 01:30 PM
BOOOO THAT MOVIE!

ive waited 4 years for that? a fuckin sunset?
5806, GO SEE ELF!
Posted by Ms Pele, Thu Nov-06-03 01:42 PM
:)
5807, I WAS THE ONLY ONE IN THE THREAD TO NAIL IT!
Posted by Invisiblist, Thu Nov-06-03 01:43 PM
I said that the machines and humans would attempt to live in peace again, that the Wachowskis wouldn't even attempt to answer the questions posed in Reloaded, and that it would make a lot of money.

Sithlord is right, by the way, you guys are haters.

Look at the entire trilogy is paced. Matrix, Reloaded and Revolutions are acts 1, 2, and 3 of a play or movie. problem presented, problem explored then turned on its ear by unforseen events, problem solved.

The hate from you guys is off the chain. The same thing is going to happen here that happened with Reloaded, Phrenology, and Electric Circus. You guys are gonna illogially hate for a while, then it's all gonna make sense, and you'll post about how you finally get it a couple of months from now, prolly when Revolutions comes out on DVD.

You guys are still living in The Hatrix. And yes, you can all kiss my ass cause I was the only one that called the peace angle. HOLLER! Off to the review thread!
5808, I'M WAITING FOR THE DVD BOXSET .....
Posted by bongani, Thu Nov-06-03 06:27 PM

>> You guys are gonna illogially hate for a while, then it's all gonna make sense, and you'll post about how you finally get it a couple of months from now, prolly when Revolutions comes out on DVD. >>

I've decide to wait a while for it. It'll probably be a 5-disc set: Matrix, Reloaded, Revolutions, Animatrix, Behind the Matrix + Deleted Scenes. Aint that worth waiting for?

5809, The crowd booed at the end of this film.
Posted by desus, Thu Nov-06-03 06:55 PM
I've never heard so many people say the term "that's bullshit" at the same time in my life.

this shit was like having sex and not ejaculating.

an effing sunset.

cmon.

they should have made the final scene the wach. brothers rolling around naked on a bed of money, pointing at the audience and going "Ha HA". At least that would have made more sense.
Posted by caswell, Thu Nov-06-03 09:15 PM
>they should have made the final scene the wach. brothers
>rolling around naked on a bed of money, pointing at the
>audience and going "Ha HA". At least that would have made
>more sense.
>_________________

ain't that the truth...and I was among the fools of LA who went to see it at 6am. The payoff was watching my friend's faith in all that is good and holy in the world crumble in the wake of lazy, blatent bad interpolation of a perfectly good judeo-christian mythlogy....yeah I'm pretty sadistic when things don't go right...

Carry On