Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectMitchell's books ranked & very briefly described:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=56445&mesg_id=56501
56501, Mitchell's books ranked & very briefly described:
Posted by janey, Thu May-31-07 11:35 AM
Cloud Atlas is the best, hands down.
Then comes Ghostwritten, which has a similar disconnect in the chapter structure, except it's one chapter per character and no going back. (Luisa Rey is in this book)
Then, Black Swan Green, which is a much more straightforward narrative (a coming of age story), except that there's no direct flow from one chapter to the next, so you can still see that it's Mitchell who wrote it. Also, there are significant father issues in the book, which long-time Mitchell fans are aware of.
Finally, Number9Dream, which works for some people but not for me. The father issues predominate here, and there is a blurring of lines between reality and dreams, and many people say the book reminds them of Murikami (which is probably why I don't like it as well).

For Cloud Atlas, surprisingly, the only one that I had trouble with was Zedelghem, until I got it that the book is also about how we enslave ourselves. Then I appreciated it better.

~~~~~

It is painful in the extreme to live with questions rather than with answers, but that is the only honorable intellectual course. (c) Norman Mailer