Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectAnyone recommend some good short books? (100-200 pages)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=5495
5495, Anyone recommend some good short books? (100-200 pages)
Posted by woodsen2, Wed Nov-12-03 08:12 PM
I am kind of busy with school and work but still want to read some good books. Fiction preferably. Thanks!

"You don't know what pain is sucka / I'll put your ass in the ground like a train conductor" - Lloyd Banks

"I once killed a drifter to get an erection."
- Will Ferrell as Neil Diamond
5496, The Bible
Posted by cantball, Wed Nov-12-03 08:14 PM

5497, don't know what bible you're reading
Posted by 49parallel, Thu Nov-13-03 06:09 AM
but that joint is like 2000 pages long.

"I maintain with clemency and munificence" -- J-Live
5498, My guess
Posted by janey, Thu Nov-13-03 07:20 AM
is that the bible this poster is referring to is the one that's an anthology of a whole lot of shorter books.
5499, huh?
Posted by 49parallel, Thu Nov-13-03 08:10 AM
anthology? isn't the bible already an anthology of shorter books? or are you saying there is a cliff notes version of the bible floating around out there?

5500, *ahem*
Posted by janey, Thu Nov-13-03 08:19 AM
Yes, the Bible IS an anthology of shorter books.

That's my point.
5501, Did Dave Barry write it?
Posted by BigWorm, Thu Nov-13-03 09:02 AM
Cause that guy is pretty funny to me.

I think I would buy this "Bible" you're talking about if Dave Barry wrote it.

1Love,
Shuggy
5502, OK, that was hilarious. nm
Posted by PolarbearToenails, Fri Nov-21-03 03:04 PM
5503, cantball was just trying to be funny
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Thu Nov-13-03 09:28 AM
he's from milwaukee so give him a break
5504, I'm trying to HELP him be funny
Posted by janey, Thu Nov-13-03 09:54 AM
by subtly explaining the joke.

This is taking way too long.

Evidently the joke is just too far out there.

Sorry, cantball.

Rest assured that I understood.
5505, ah.
Posted by 49parallel, Thu Nov-13-03 10:15 AM
here's where the joke and janey's oh-so-subtle explanation lost me. typically we refer to the whole anthology as "bible," not genesis or obadiah or galatians. typically we refer to these as "genesis," "obadiah," or "galatians" or perhaps "books in the bible." ("we" meaning "humans who speak in english.")

5506, DUH
Posted by janey, Thu Nov-13-03 10:50 AM
I mean!

DUH!!

Cantball was making a veiled allusion to the "BOOKS of the Bible" which even YOU mention in your response.

It's supposed to be TONGUE IN CHEEK.

Sorry, Cantball. I got it even if others didn't.
5507, alright,
Posted by 49parallel, Thu Nov-13-03 11:07 AM
you invoke authorial intent, i invoke interpretive communities, and we'll both go back to our respective domains of romanticism and neo-pragmatism. this way we both can be happy and right: you can relish the subtle humor and belittle the homorless, and i can correct the error and mock the uninitiated. if you have the slightest clue what i'm talking about, it's a win-win scenario.

i'm done.

5508, fair enough
Posted by janey, Thu Nov-13-03 12:12 PM
this is what those conservatives mean when they say that liberal academia has no sense of humor.

:P
5509, btw
Posted by 49parallel, Thu Nov-13-03 12:26 PM
aren't you going to recommend some 100-200 page books? i've done my part.

5510, actually
Posted by janey, Thu Nov-13-03 12:59 PM
I strongly prefer long books. I tend not to read many short ones.

I don't care for short stories, either, in general, but I'd recommend Richard Yates and Andre Dubus.

Oh, here, then. You asked for it.

“Another damned, thick, square book! Always scribble, scribble, scribble! Eh, Mr. Gibbon?” © Duke of Gloucester to the writer of THE DECLINE AND FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE

A Big Book and a Little One.
And some other stuff I’ve been thinking about.

My ex-husband had this theory that women like big books. Big, long, bang-for-buck books. Don’t read anything in here, he really was talking about books. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

So I don’t know whether he was right or whether his entire statistical sample consisted of me, no others, no control groups, just this insane extrapolation derived from the single and singular experience of living with me, a woman for whom long books are not only not daunting – they are welcomed. And there has been a proliferation of long books in recent years starting, I think, with INFINITE JEST. Everyone bitched about how long it was, but I read the whole thing. Twice. And since then, a whole host of writers have brought out monster sized books for our edification and enjoyment. DeLillo, Pynchon, Wolfe. Everyone’s jumping on the bandwagon.

And now, Neal Stephenson and CRYPTONOMICON. At 900 pages it’s longer than DeLillo’s UNDERWORLD and Wolfe’s A MAN IN FULL, but not MASON AND DIXON or INFINITE JEST. The plot is relatively complicated (better be, at that length, huh?) and the interweaving of stories requires a certain amount of attention, plus you just get a lot more out of this book if you’re willing to expend the energy to read it carefully and absorb some of the information that Stephenson provides. CRYPTONOMICON is astonishingly smart and surprisingly funny. Sometimes cynical, sometimes absurd, occasionally silly, but never the easy joke and never, ever the stupid one.

Stephenson has a couple of issues that he can’t resist sermonizing about, and his real shortcoming as a writer seems to be that he can write characters that we like and want to pal around with but whose deaths we recover from remarkably quickly. In addition, Stephenson sees male/female relationships so much in terms of hormones or Men-Are-From-Mars, etcetera (about which one of his character says that once you’ve read the title you have no need to read the book itself), that his human relationships are all a bit distant. Those who have significant relationships are separated by miles; others are just kept at arm’s length by emotional short circuits.

But this isn’t really a complaint, just an observation. Stephenson has not set out to write a book about human emotions (except to the extent that he can’t really avoid it in the relatively complex plot that he’s created) but, rather, to write about world events and feats of human ingenuity, including creating (or breaking) unbreakable codes and ciphers in World War II and today, building meticulously planned engineering wonders, defeating Van Eck phreaking through clever use of Unix, or just throwing the enemy off the scent, whoever that enemy may be and whatever the scent may lead to. Stephenson cleverly provides us all the information we need to not quite be lost at any given point… and no more. Plot turns and resolutions are generally a surprise but they always make sense, and often we realize that we know why the action works because he has carefully set up the background – most often without giving us the final connector until it’s really ready for splicing in. This, and Stephenson’s smart and sharp sense of humor, make for a really, really enjoyable book that ties together myriad disparate elements – including computer programming, currency systems, subtle and less subtle digs at Wales and the Welsh, start up high tech companies, power point business plans, strategic litigation, and all kinds of mazes, mental and physical.

One of the plot lines exemplifies the maze – Imagine that you and two close friends had seriously discussed number theory and cryptanalysis during long days spent together as grad students. Now imagine that some years later, one of those friends is in Nazi Germany while you and the other friend are in the U.S. and England, respectively. And you are all in relatively high places with regard to your respective country’s codes and ciphers. How do you prevent your German friend from breaking your codes? He knows how you two think. Even more complicated – you’ve broken his codes but you can’t let him know. How do you use the information you’ve gleaned without tipping him off? The machinations this question produces provides one of the central stories of CRYPTONOMICON, and it’s a good one, especially because another of the handful of main characters of the book is an enlisted man who is part of the misinformation mission but does not in fact know what the purpose of his many assignments is. Thus, he is often set to tasks that seem nonsensical to him – and we, knowing the whys, see the humor in his predicament.

Stephenson is, I guess, pretty well known among cyber punk sci fi readers, and I’ve skimmed enough of SNOW CRASH to understand the William Gibson comparisons. But for me it’s not the creation of a new or different world that makes him so interesting, it’s the long and very hard look he gives to the existing one.

He gives the world this hard look in CRYPTONOMICON and he does so in a different way in the fairly short non-fiction book called IN THE BEGINNING… WAS THE COMMAND LINE. This one is short enough (especially in comparison to CRYPTONOMICON and uh this review) that he refers to it throughout as an essay. It’s not; essays don’t have chapters, but it is short enough to read in a couple of hours. As closely as he held my attention throughout CRYPTONOMICON, he absolutely gripped me in IN THE BEGINNING… It pretends to be a look at operating systems, comparing specifically MacOS, BeOS, Windows and Linux, in what appears to be a fairly balanced approach (but what do I know about this stuff?). The surprising thing is that without much visible effort he got me all fired up to learn more.

And I think that the reason for my reaction is that Stephenson sees the relative success of the four systems as indicative of something deeper – which may simply be American purchasing trends, or which may be a transition from a word based society to an image based one. And while the image, the icon, the “button” that we “click on” is not in and of itself a bad thing (after all, there is no reason for everyone to remember a lot of complicated information that they’ll either waste a lot of time typing over and over, in the case of the frequently used buttons, or, in the case of rarely used ones, to remember long strings of complicated and unfamiliar information), what IS important is that we don’t mistake the icon for the reality. The semiotician Umberto Eco makes much the same argument in the title essay of his book TRAVELS IN HYPERREALITY, albeit without reference to computers.

It’s important to remember that the button is only as good as the code behind it. And it’s important to maintain some facility with the word, the command line, or else risk the ultimate breakdown of communication with societies and persons who are still word-based, such as, he says writing in 1999, Muslim nations in the middle east who see our images, our metaphors and take them literally or at face value.

And it’s important to remember the dangers inherent when the metaphor is a bad one (he particularly dislikes the term “Information Superhighway”).

And it’s important that we not forget that the image is metaphor, useful only for streamlining or abbreviating a complicated message and, instead, start to take the metaphor as the entirety. Malcolm Gladwell talks about this sort of thing in THE TIPPING POINT, in which he talks about (among other things) the spreading of rumor – first the message is smoothed and simplified so that it fits in with a pre-existing world view (see also “Lynching in Huejutla” in TRUE TALES FROM ANOTHER MEXICO by Sam Quinones or, e.g., see what I am doing here, smoothing away differences that aren’t meaningful to my discussion, and focusing on that which is so as to draw together the variety of examples that all seem to me to point in the same direction).

The ability to speak both languages – word and image – also resonates within the linguistic debate as between Standard English and other forms, such as Ebonics, about which David Foster Wallace wrote so convincingly in this past June’s Harper’s Magazine. He makes a credible case that one must be proficient in both in order to be truly successful and I think Stephenson would agree.

So Stephenson has cleverly tricked me into seeing the relationship and importance of computer operating systems to the real world, today’s world, my world. A world at war, in a war that may be between two ways of seeing the world – one being Do What You Wish So Long as You Don’t Hurt Others and the other You Doing What You Wish Hurts Me In Ways You Don’t See. Is that what this war is about?

And, too, is there another alternative? What happened to all that thinking “outside the box” that got so much press in recent years? Is it simply more rhetoric?

Are we all so indoctrinated by the icon that we can no longer type a command line? I have been concerned for some time about the end of the political discourse, watching it devolve over time until it has become nothing better than two people shouting sound bytes at one another, and doubtless Stephenson resonates in me because of this. I have occasionally held out some hope for internet message boards as a means of training our new thinkers to express themselves in the written word, but even there the pithy statement gets more attention than the essay. So I return to my damned, thick, square books.

Scribble, scribble, scribble.

5511, wow, that's a hellava review
Posted by 49parallel, Fri Nov-14-03 05:25 AM
i'm with you about long novels. the longer the better. i've not read stephenson, but your description of cryptonomicon (it's complexity, density, and overall "smartness") reminds me of a richard powers novel. good comparison? if so, cryptonomicon is my next read.

5512, He's nowhere near Richard Powers
Posted by janey, Fri Nov-14-03 07:01 AM
in terms of emotional and intellectual depth.

Powers gets to the heart of every subject he touches. No, he doesn't. He bores into the soul of every subject he touches, and he carves a place in our hearts for his subjects.

Stephenson isn't trying to do that. He's trying to tell a really good story. A rollicking yarn, if you will.

And he does.

But it's funny you should draw that comparison. I just sent my sister Cryptonomicon and Plowing the Dark. I think they're good companion pieces, even though I would never compare the two writers, you know? Very different takes on relatively similar subjects.

Good call.
5513, Jesus H Christ
Posted by cantball, Sat Nov-15-03 10:12 AM

5514, most famous/respected short books-
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Wed Nov-12-03 08:17 PM
Old Man and the Sea-Ernest Hemingway
Animal Farm-George Orwell

about 130 each
5515, yeah, those, and
Posted by The Damaja, Thu Nov-13-03 12:29 AM
Also

John Steinbeck - Of Mice and Men

that one's GUTwrenching
5516, anything Steinbeck is gut wrenching
Posted by Wonderl33t, Thu Nov-13-03 02:30 PM
"This is like a Rorschach test." --Don of The Don & Mike Show on a certain photo of Rosie O'Donnell

The Fellowship of the Fins:
absence, Al_Tru_Ist, Drewmathic, Ir_Cuba, LML, Robert, wonderl33t, xenophobia

Illgaluminati - Our guns say "REPLICA" on the barrel.
http://dotmatrixfilms.vze.com/
5517, RE: most famous/respected short books-
Posted by Eusebio, Mon Nov-17-03 06:05 AM
when i was 11 i had to read the old man and the sea for school and i hated it with a passion
5518, read it again
Posted by The Damaja, Mon Nov-17-03 07:24 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if you loved it

(assuming you're not, like, 13)
5519, naw man, i'm 18
Posted by Eusebio, Mon Nov-17-03 10:57 AM
i guess i will, but it's not a priority
5520, i'd say 18 is the ideal reading age for this book
Posted by The Damaja, Mon Nov-17-03 11:12 AM
I think it's silly how they give it to younger school kids actually.

At least, if you reread it, it's not that long. 100 pages, with smaller than usual pages.
5521, The Alchemist
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Nov-12-03 08:19 PM
I think it's about 160
5522, i just have to say
Posted by 49parallel, Thu Nov-13-03 06:38 AM
that i hated this book. i'm happy you liked it, but i thought that compared to calvino's and eco's novels (which this one seems to try to emulate), the alchemist reads like a glossy magazine. just my opinion.

5523, In a way, you are right
Posted by Tank, Thu Nov-13-03 07:13 AM
For the most part Coelho's books are fluffy parables. BUT, I do think they are important and useful and if you want to read simple, pretty and somewhat inspiring works they are good to consume.
5524, i guess i didn't find the alchemist
Posted by 49parallel, Thu Nov-13-03 08:14 AM
pretty or inspiring. fluffy and simple, yes. but not pretty or inspiring.

again, though, this is just my opinion.

5525, I think its about the order of reading...
Posted by Tank, Thu Nov-13-03 08:33 AM
What did you read before it..?

For a lot of people, I think it is often a starting point in terms of mental and emotional growth for people. So, as that marker, it is highly revered by many.
5526, *jumps in post, double dutching between the ropes*
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Thu Nov-13-03 08:48 AM
i didnt think the alchemist was a great book.
now maybe if i read this when i was say, 12 or 13, then maybe yes. same thing with siddhartha. i wasnt impressed by either one of them, i guess because i have already started my 'journey' (journies). i coulda written that shit..really, not to discredit the work, or discourage anyone from reading it..
just my thoughts man, just what im feeling at the time (c) jigga
5527, YES!
Posted by Tank, Thu Nov-13-03 08:55 AM
You prove my theory! :o)
5528, DAMN YOU TANK AND GROOVEPHI
Posted by 49parallel, Thu Nov-13-03 10:29 AM
i know for a fact that you two are just a couple of booksnobs who are trying to sound all understanding and conciliatory. don't give me that "depends where you are on the journey line!" stand with me in our mutual booksnobdom and pronounce the alchemist drivel. don't cowardly hide behind your supposed conciliatory gesture of "the journey." all booksnobs can see through that shallow mask. the "journey" metaphor is just another way of saying "you'll like it if you have the intellectual capacities of an 11 year old."

okay, i'm done. (i actually agree with both of you and think that it's a good thing people are actually reading novels regardless of my personal opinions about the quality of said novels.)

5529, RE: DAMN YOU TANK AND GROOVEPHI
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Fri Nov-14-03 01:41 AM
"you'll like it if you have the intellectual capacities of an 11 year old."

thats what i shouldve said.
5530, Hahahaa
Posted by Tank, Fri Nov-14-03 04:56 AM
For most books, I think we would be in alignment, but I simply cannot hate on Coelho's books. I just can't. :o)
5531, i finally picked up white teeth
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Tue Nov-18-03 09:05 AM
didnt u recommend it. had to cop it from the library. i needed that hardback twelve point..the print on the paperback would put me to sleep..

is this not a character trait of a book snob: i will not read a book if the size is too small and the font is not appealing to my eye...true..im reading something now and that ish is in like Times New Roman font, i feel like im reading something for work..im struggling.
5532, I don't read much fiction
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Nov-13-03 04:38 PM
I only read maybe 10-12 books a year (if I'm lucky) and most of those are either biographies or historical.

Sure it's simple but it was a quick enjoyable read for me.
5533, i was once like you
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Tue Nov-18-03 08:48 AM
i didnt read too much fiction, but now i am learning to appreciate fiction. im not into paper tv however. i can think up my own stories. i am more interested in the arrangement of words, and how the author conveys his/her thoughts to the reader, how he/she makes the reader laugh, cry, symphathize, empathize, etc, etc..i cant even articulate how i feel about fiction now. i think i may have read 25 books this year, mostly, and its been a wonderful experience!
5534, RE: Anyone recommend some good short books? (100-200 pa
Posted by King_Friday, Wed Nov-12-03 08:33 PM
Notes From Underground - by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Leaf Storm and other stories - by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

and two that aren't fiction but I'll list them anyway:

The Fire Next Time - by James Baldwin

Narrative Of The Life Of Frederick Douglass - by Frederick Douglass
5535, said the shotgun to the head - saul williams
Posted by okaycomputer, Wed Nov-12-03 08:40 PM
a poem. 184 pages.

its like i've been keanu reeves' understudy for the past year and a half

-Sage Francis

5536, co-MOTHERFUCKING-sign.
Posted by al_sharp, Thu Nov-13-03 02:50 PM
"It's all a bunch of shit...and there's nothing to do around here...it's totally fucked up...I'm totally fucked up...wish you were here."
--Ryan Adams

al_sharp currently recommends:

Ben Folds - Sunny 16
Ben Folds - Speed Graphic
Patrick Park - Loneliness Knows My Name
Damien Rice - O
Sondre Lerche - Faces Down
Leaves - Breathe
The Damnwells - Bastards Of The Beat
Ryan Adams - Rock N Roll
Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell (Pt. 1)
Saul Williams - Said The Shotgun To The Head (Go on...get your read on.)

Check out tracks by Al Sharp and Shameless Plug @ http://www.mp3.com/Al_Sharp

aim: cflartey

Illgaluminati...We're so vain, we probably think this post is about us.

R.I.P. ELLIOTT SMITH
5537, Co Co-sign!
Posted by bassndaplace, Fri Nov-21-03 05:58 PM
best book I've read since reading this >www.drmaddvibe.com<
5538, Krik? Krak! --Edwidge Danticat
Posted by kurlyswirl, Wed Nov-12-03 08:46 PM
It's 240 pages, but it consists of 9 short stories. Beautifully written stories about Haitians and Haitian-Americans.

That's the best I can do--the rest of my recommendations would probably be too girly for you! ks
5539, Squid Eye by Ian MacMillan
Posted by johnbook, Wed Nov-12-03 10:38 PM
p.e.a.c.e.
-

5540, Over 200 pages but both good...
Posted by drew down, Wed Nov-12-03 11:17 PM
"The Intuitionist"
"John Henry Days"

Both by Colson Whitehead.

No Colson fans on the boards? Future of American fiction...

5541, spoken words...
Posted by vechello, Thu Nov-13-03 04:48 AM
i'm not sure how many pages this was....great book though.
5542, Both are on my 18-page Amazon wish list, lol! nm
Posted by kurlyswirl, Thu Nov-13-03 06:45 AM
ks
5543, Just finished the Intuitionist
Posted by johnny_domino, Thu Nov-13-03 08:40 AM
It was quite good, though I must admit I still prefer Paul Beatty's novels.
5544, The Fuck Up
Posted by love2000, Thu Nov-13-03 05:08 AM

easy reading.... some like the ending, I thought it sucked though.
5545, Candide by Voltaire.
Posted by God Loves Ugly, Thu Nov-13-03 05:35 AM
One of my all time favorites, good satire.
5546, The Metamorphosis-Franz Kafka
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Nov-13-03 05:42 AM
Opening sentence: "As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect."

It only gets iller from there, best 50-page novel in literary history.
5547, The Commitments-Roddy Doyle
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Nov-13-03 05:46 AM
A little over 100 pages but heavy on dialogue which makes it the kind of quick-read you can do in one sitting. Hilarious book about a group of Irish kids enthralled by black music who put together a band. Nothing heavy-handed here, just a breezy and funny little story which later became a movie.
5548, anything by...
Posted by dem_fly_up, Thu Nov-13-03 05:57 AM
italo calvino.
5549, i was just gonna write the same thing
Posted by 49parallel, Thu Nov-13-03 06:12 AM
(but don't get castle of the crossed destinies)

5550, I'm reading...
Posted by laina221, Sat Nov-15-03 01:32 PM
...If On A Winters Night A Traveler right now. Pretty interesting style, I'm about halfway through. A breath of fresh air after Dr. Zhivago, which I just finished.

I'm not familiar with his other books though, what would you recommend?
5551, my top four are
Posted by 49parallel, Sat Nov-15-03 03:38 PM
the one you're reading, the baron in the trees, cosmicomics, and the cloven viscount and nonexistent knight (or is it the nonexistent knight and cloven viscount?). if on a winter's night is different than all his other novels and short stories. the others are all beautifully and lyrically written mythical tales that tell a rather straighforward (tho fantastical) story.

5552, RE: my top four are
Posted by laina221, Mon Nov-17-03 10:37 AM
Hey, thanks for the listing. I'll put 'em on THE LIST. :)

5553, let's see,
Posted by 49parallel, Thu Nov-13-03 06:17 AM
thomas bernhart, wittgenstein's nephew

any collection of borges' short stories

any collection of donald barthelme's short stories

chinua achebe, things fall apart, anthills of the savannah, no longer at ease, a man of the people (all right around 200 pages)

yvgeny zamaytim (i know i spelled that wrong -- someone help me out), we

5554, Outstanding short novels:
Posted by keithdawg, Thu Nov-13-03 07:55 AM
Kurt Vonnegut-Cat’s Cradle, Slaughter House 5, Mother Night
JD Salinger-Catcher in the Rye, Franny and Zooey, Nine Stories
Toni Morrison-The Bluest Eye
Philip K Dick-Radio Free Albemuth
Stephen King-The Long Walk
George Orwell-Animal Farm
Tom Robbins-Still Life With Woodpecker

"You fasten all the triggers,
For the others to fire,
Then you sit back and watch,
As the death count gets higher"-Bob Dylan

"Maybe you'll be president,
But know right from wrong,
Or in the flood,
You'll build an Ark,
And sail us to the moon"-Thom Yorke

"I'm in heaven trying to figure out which stack they're going to stuff us atheists into,
When Peter and his monkey laugh and i laugh with them,
I'm not sure what at,
They point and say we'll keep you in the back polishing halos, baking manna and gas"-Modest Mouse

5555, animal farm
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Thu Nov-13-03 08:49 AM
great novel..i dont know how many pages, but it was very interesting, funny, and thought provoking.. i mean u could really get into a good discussion about this book, as well as the bluest eye...

5556, good choices
Posted by SammyJankis, Fri Nov-14-03 07:34 AM
'specially, animal farm, the bluest eye, and cather in the rye
5557, animal farm.
Posted by phenompyrus, Thu Nov-13-03 08:12 AM
is this 100-200 pgs?
i havent read it for awhile.
5558, RE: animal farm.
Posted by sevencents, Thu Nov-13-03 01:07 PM
I think it's a bit over 100 pages...I was able to start and finnish it on a flight from NYC to Vegas.

5559, heart of darkness/secret sharer - joseph conrad
Posted by AG Thoughts, Thu Nov-13-03 08:39 AM
ususally sold together in the same volume. excellent psychological literature. heart of darkness is about the ivory industry in africa in the 1800's and secret sharer is more just an adventure story. but both are great stories.
5560, i second that
Posted by DrNO, Thu Nov-13-03 08:51 AM
5561, also - awakening by chopin
Posted by AG Thoughts, Thu Nov-13-03 09:52 AM
thats another good one. and if u got time for some short stories-
the yellow wallpaper- perkins gilman
white heron- ????
the lottery- ???

and how long is "love in the time of colera (sp)"? garcia marquez is really good.
5562, Heart of Darkness....
Posted by laina221, Sat Nov-15-03 01:27 PM
One of my favorite reads of all time. I think the lack of closure / conclusion to the book is a stroke of pure genius. The most impressive thing about that book is that English was Conrad's third language! Amazing.
5563, things fall apart
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Thu Nov-13-03 08:50 AM
dont know how many pages that is tho..
the catcher in the rye
animal farm

5564, RE: things fall apart
Posted by AG Thoughts, Thu Nov-13-03 09:50 AM
whats TFA about? i hear its good, but don't know what its about.
5565, RE: things fall apart
Posted by Eusebio, Mon Nov-17-03 06:04 AM
i read it a while ago so i can't remember all the details but it's the story of Okonkwo in nigeria around the time of first contact with the europeans. VERY good book. very celebrated as well.
i would also recommend stuff by Ngugi wa Thiong'o (The River Between, Petails of Blood, A Grain of Wheat etc)
he's a Kenyan writer. so far i've only read the river between and i liked it a lot, then i hear that all his other ones are MUCH better.

another short read... Go tell it on the mountain- James Baldwin
5566, ngugi wa thiogo
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Mon Nov-17-03 07:58 AM
i have petals of blood. im still trying to finish reading that book

i love ayi kwei armah also...
5567, ayi kwei armah
Posted by Eusebio, Mon Nov-17-03 09:14 AM
i've heard great things about him too. he's on the ever growing lists of books i need to read
5568, 2000 seasons!
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Tue Nov-18-03 08:52 AM
i recommend u start with this book or the healers. i read the beautyful ones are not yet born, but was disappointed. im not really into existentialist literature, the beautyful ones was too dark and depression, IMO. however, 2000 seasons is my favorite. i cant even describe how is words make the violence in the novel seem beautiful and liberating....

u will have to check your local black book store for his stuff, or a college library.
5569, a few
Posted by DrNO, Thu Nov-13-03 08:58 AM
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (one of the most beautifully written novels ever, its incredible. You can usually get it with some short stories like the great The Happy Prince)

Look into H.G. Wells. The War Of The Worlds, The Invisible Man, etc.
5570, Picture of Dorian...
Posted by laina221, Sat Nov-15-03 01:36 PM
...another great book! I didn't really care for the short stories, though my version didn't include the Happy Prince.
5571, Want to read it?
Posted by DrNO, Sat Nov-15-03 10:56 PM
Enjoy:

http://eserver.org/fiction/oscar-prince.html
5572, RE: Want to read it?
Posted by laina221, Mon Nov-17-03 10:46 AM
Hi, thanks for the link, that was quite good... :)
5573, If you're in the mood for something a lil' younger
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Nov-13-03 09:26 AM
My personal favorite is _The Phantom Tollbooth_ by Norton Juster.

Being the adventures of a young boy named Milo, who travels to the Lands Beyond, where with the help of his friends Tock (the watchdog) and the Humbug seeks to rescue the Princesses of Sweet Rhym and Pure Reason from the Castle in the Air, whence they have been exiled by the feuding brothers King Azaz the Unabridged and the Mathematician.
5574, the prophet
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Fri Nov-14-03 08:46 AM
by kahlil gibran

alright, im out of this post
5575, Ayn Rynd - Anthem, John Barth - The Floating Opera
Posted by signified, Thu Nov-13-03 02:01 PM
But books dont usually get good unless they hit 350 pages +. There are exceptions to this rule.
5576, survivor by chuck palahniuk
Posted by jusfrejafrau, Fri Nov-14-03 03:46 PM
loved it
5577, excellent choice. great book. but its more than 200.
Posted by dgonsh, Sun Nov-16-03 08:43 PM
who cares though, read it. great fuckin book. better than the literary fight club. of course fight club the movie, was better than the book.

peace, dgonsh

AUGUST 12/2003---THE DAY THE JU JU JU JU GENERAL DISCUSSION BOARD WENT BLANK.

"anytime i state an opinion i state it's my opinion, and i back up why i stated the statement (time willing). so please folks you got to understand that it's not a good feeling to read a i'm not on his nuts comment. if i need some attention for my nuts i'll call a jawn." -Quest

5578, illusions - richard bach
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Fri Nov-14-03 05:11 PM
it's about a guy who's a barnstormer and meets someone who has supernatural like powers. it's about 150 pages...maybe simplistic but it's good brain candy.

obsidianchrysalis
5579, Sci Fi?
Posted by dba_BAD, Fri Nov-14-03 07:22 PM
Not that you really have to be a sci fi head to appreciate either of these, but:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
and
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

were both really fun and satisfying to read. I actually think Ender's Game is a great novel - unusually deep character development for sci fi.
5580, on the road
Posted by gusto, Fri Nov-14-03 11:38 PM
wasnt that under 200?
5581, 300, but read it anyway. its amazing.
Posted by okaycomputer, Mon Nov-17-03 10:57 AM
i don't know how to act...its like i've been keanu reeves' understudy for the past year and a half

-Sage Francis

5582, Here's three
Posted by FierceTalent, Sat Nov-15-03 12:35 PM
Hunger - Knut Hamsun
Winesburg, Ohio - Sherwood Anderson
The Human Comedy - William Saroyan

---------------

"Roses are red/Violets are blue/Oh my, lump in the bed/How I've missed you./Roses are redder/Bluer am I/Seeing you kissed by that charming French guy./The dogs and the cat, they missed you too/Barney's still mad you dropped him, he ate your shoe/The distance, my dear, has been such a barrier/Next time you want an adventure, just land on a carrier." - A George W. Bush orginal poem, written for Laura on her return from a five-day solo trip to Europe.
5583, Love-Toni Morrison
Posted by jamais vu, Sat Nov-15-03 01:29 PM
It's only 201, and much more readable than some of her past works. I'm not through it, but I have a good impression already.
5584, 200 - 250 pp
Posted by laina221, Sat Nov-15-03 01:43 PM
Mary Shelley: Frankenstein
F. Scott Fitzgeral: This Side Of Paradise
George Eliot: Silas Marner
Nathaniel Hawthorne: The Scarlet Letter

I highly recommend you read Heart of Darkness, already recommended by someone above.
5585, Exile In Time by Ian MacMillan
Posted by johnbook, Sat Nov-15-03 04:11 PM
p.e.a.c.e.
-

5586, RE: Anyone recommend some good short books? (100-200 pa
Posted by Corey_Atherley, Sat Nov-15-03 05:02 PM

Rice- By Su Tong. (An intensely gory novel)

Raise The Red Lantern- By Su Tong (Which we all know was made into a movie..but read the book first.)

Girls At War- Short stories by Chinua Achebe

And also read anything by Lu Xun. One of my favorites of his is "Diary Of A Madman".
5587, wife: bharati muhkerjee
Posted by ScandalousWoman, Sun Nov-16-03 08:52 AM
dimple's parents arrange a marriage which brings her to usa and focuses on how she copes.

it might be out of print so look for it in libraries.

"got some dirt on my shoulder. could you brush it off for me?"

5588, RE: Anyone recommend some good short books? (100-200 pa
Posted by nebo, Sun Nov-16-03 11:41 AM

Haruki Murakami: South of the border, West of the Sun
Sputnik Sweetheart
Hanif Kureishi: Gabriel's gift
John Williams: Five pubs, two bars and a nightclub
Banana Yoshimoto: Honeymoon
Peter Esterhazy : Woman
5589, the fuck up
Posted by Iltigo, Mon Nov-17-03 08:51 AM
most of neirsesson books are short reads even if they are over 200 pages (not by much though)

SHMEA?!

im so sinsurr....
5590, I didn't read through the whole thread......
Posted by TurkeylegJenkins, Mon Nov-17-03 11:42 AM
.... but if it wasn't mentioned above, you won't find many if any better books under 200 pages than Dostoevsky's "Notes from Underground."

I'm also kind of partial to Kerouac's "Tristessa."

"Life is inherently morally ambiguous, contradictory and paradoxical. If questions about virtually any subject having to do with human interaction seem able to be answered with 'yes' or 'no,' or if they seem to fall easily into right/wrong, black/white categories, chances are far greater that we're overlooking some integral issue than that the answer is really that simple." -- Okayplayer Janey

"Ain't but one sideline I'd stand on. And that's the Giant sideline." -- Lawrence Taylor

REGENERATE YOUR HEADPIECE: http://www.regeneratedheadpiece.com
5591, *sneezes* ^ ....bless me!
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Fri Nov-21-03 06:06 AM
up this joint
5592, Bleachers
Posted by MistaMeek, Fri Nov-21-03 07:17 AM
you can knock it out in a day or two
www.cdbaby.com/chyle -Ever wonder what a cosmic alien would look and sound like? -New album its "Bangin"

"Bobcats???!!!?? whateva I just want to see some pro ball"- me

The only team I despise as much or more than the reDeadskins are the Dookies! yuck!

Let's Go Charlotte 49ers & Gooooo Heels!

http://members.cardomain.com/mikeonasis -site for my X! The Cowgirls are on page 2!
www.gettosake.com -Just go check it out!

COWBOY FANS: Gotta luv it!..."We both fly around the ball," Williams said. "Sorry Woodson. I hate seeing him on the ground. But that's how we play. We get to the football. You have to play fast out there. And it's fun. I love blitzing like that. Especially when you get a free shot at the quarterback." -#31 Roy Williams

5593, Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49
Posted by Cashish, Fri Nov-21-03 04:22 PM
Amazing book and really short at 130ish packed pages.