Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: I mean, everyone realizes that Bay can't win, right?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=54621&mesg_id=54639
54639, RE: I mean, everyone realizes that Bay can't win, right?
Posted by jadedeejay, Fri May-11-07 05:15 PM
I willing to accept the fact that, at it's core, Transformers is basically little more than a toy franchise that was marketed to 8 YEAR OLD BOYS in the 80's. There's not much there in terms of story to work with. In order to appeal to a broader audience, changes have to be made from the original concept to keep it from being corny and juvenile.

I'm also willing to acknowledge that they need to make these robots from space look believable in terms of movement and detail (i.e. Prime's tires not magically disappearing when he changes to robot form, elbows and arms being able to move fluidly, etc.), and in THAT regard, at least, I think they succeeded.

But really, is it THAT much to ask that the characters at least bear SOME iconic resemblence to their namesakes? Obviously this is more important with some characters than others. I couldn't imagine them trying to pull off Frenzy as a cassette nowadays, for example.

But Megatron without the arm cannon? That's like Superman without the 'S' or Punisher without the skull!

Why bother?

That said, I'm still prolly gonna see that shit. Doesn't mean I'm gonna like it....

*Camps out in front of theatre with pouty face and arms crossed*

www.myspace.com/djjedi1