Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: and that I can respect
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=54488&mesg_id=54589
54589, RE: and that I can respect
Posted by The Damaja, Fri Mar-16-07 12:23 AM
>*Anti-nword rant over* i just feel like sometimes cats hear
>that shit said in the arts, in high profile art like taht of
>scorsese and of tarantino, miss the point, and then it's like
>they got a 90 day pass for niggering it up like it's 1899.

yeah it's true that the lots of people are guilty of missing the point ESPECIALLY with Tarantino
it's quite an intellectual film about dysfunctional morality in modern american culture
but i've heard so many people say it's 'all style' or 'just a cool film that doesn't mean anything'
which is a big problem cause a lot of evil stuff happens in that film. it may have a veneer of style/coolness but you MUST peel that back

in the case of 'dead nigger storage' specifically though, it's tied into the theme of miscegenation. Jimmy is actually married to a black woman for a start, black and white is a visual motif throughout the film... it would take me ages to explain all this, but you get the picture that mixing of people from different backgrounds often produces inappropriate speech patterns, inappropriate behavior and so on.

also i'm not sure if people even get the D.N.S. scene anymore, it's become almost mythical.
'i'm not in the business of storing dead fucking niggers!' is the key line
Jimmy is not casually using the word 'nigger' there like Marsellus or Jules do in the film or insultingly like Lance (the drug dealer who says 'Am I a nigger? Discerning white people know...') does
he's saying 'am I some sort of Klu Klux Klan safehouse??'
if Jules had been a white character, then this would be a purely dismissive sentiment
but since Jules is black, Jimmy is sort of calling attention to his actions, ie. kidnapping and killing a black man then disposing of the body

i mean think about it, Jimmy/Tarantino took an already extremely offensive word, then cranked it up several more degrees by putting 'Dead' before it and 'Storage' after it. he's basically saying 'this is foul, the sort of foulness that would imply a sign saying Dead Nigger Storage'

it's like if i knew some jewish people, and one day they came to my door with a murdered jewish person, wanting to dispose of the body, and i, shocked (yet somewhat used to crime), said 'Is the Holocaust back on or something?? Did you see a sign on my gate saying Aushwitz 2.0: Cleanse your Kikes?'