Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: i just think it's hypocritical.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=54488&mesg_id=54498
54498, RE: i just think it's hypocritical.
Posted by analog2digital, Wed Mar-14-07 11:22 AM
>if you're going to go after marty, then go after bet as
>well.

When has Black Entertainment Television EVER received a pass on these here boards? Never.

But aside from that, when do you hear "nigger" on BET? If The Departed had displayed BET-style coonin, then I could see your point about hypocrisy, but we're talking about 2 different types of degradation

>it's not okay that the script (which scorcese didn't write
>btw) uses that word, but a lot of what airs on bet is just
>fine and dandy.

Nobody said anything was fine and dandy.

>i don't get it.

Evidently, you must not. If you can't see that there's a difference between black people degrading themselves, and black people being degraded by a white director and his screenwriter.

If you think degradation is degradation, and that it's all the same, then that's another discussion.

The problem is that you simply assumed that the poster had no problem with BET, which is just unfair.

And then you just assumed that degradation is the same no matter the source, white (Monahan and Scorcese) or black (Deborah Lee and Steven Hill), when that's not something to be assumed, especially if you're not black (I don't know if you are or not).