Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectLOL i kinda agree with you about the asses
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=53847&mesg_id=53957
53957, LOL i kinda agree with you about the asses
Posted by Orfeo_Negro, Thu Apr-12-07 01:00 PM
but at the same time, it's not like i want to see Ki-Toy and Buffie up in there... it woulda been too distracted.

i think a lot of those girls had fairly "regular girl" bodies, and that was attractive. they were sexy.

>i'd be curious to know what do you think his strengths and
>weaknesses are, particulalry his weaknesses?

well, we know that the dialogue tends to be a bit indulgent, and in general, i never found him to be that interesting as a *director*

i mean, i've always loved Quentin as a WRITER, but as a director his stuff always seemed very visually flat to me. not as flat as Kevin Smith, but still... just visually inert.

of course, he changed my mind about that with Kill Bill. and even Death Proof, which he acted as Director of Photography on himself (something he's never done before). so he *is* stepping up his visual game... he *is* evolving.

prior to that, a lot of his screenplays were more like one-act stage plays to me... simple set-up and then miles and miles of talking.

but other than that, QT has really helped to rvolutionize the way American films are written: he wasn't the first to realize that as long as a screenplay has a beginning, middle and end that they didn't have to come in that order, but he used that conceit in a more ingenious way than just about anybody before him.

his dialogue was witty and refreshing, and added new dimensions to the kind of characters who would have been stock cut-outs in movies before him.

one of the QT's biggest strengths, though... is the fact that he just flat-out LOVES movies and it shines through in all his work. even when the movie doesn't come together the way that it should, you still get the sense that this dude is genuinely excited about what he is doing, and that kind of excitement is infectious.

he's always bragged that he's never done any movie for money and that he never will. he'll do other things for money if he has to, but when it comes to his movies... it's all about the love.

i admire that.