Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjecti'll agree with you about the complacency
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=53847&mesg_id=53955
53955, i'll agree with you about the complacency
Posted by Orfeo_Negro, Thu Apr-12-07 11:53 AM
Death Proof is definitely a very self-satisfied movie... and it IS an ode to himself as much as it is to grindhouse cinema.

i just don't find that as bothersome as you do, though... for one thing, i don't think of this as a real "Quentin Tarantino Joint" per se... it looks to me like two friends just got together and did a movie they thought would be fun and which they MUST have known would have limited appeal.

folks are acting like the commercial or artistic failure of this movie signals the beginning of the end of QT or RR's careers. i don't see that.

it was a self-indulgent idea that they both indulged in with their respective indulgent styles... it's them basically *celebrating* the fact that they're both big enough to get away with making movies like this.

>>there's lots of playing with the audience expectations in
>the
>>movie... like at the very beginning where Vanessa Ferlito is
>>running up the stairs screaming that she's gotta take a
>>massive piss... because QT knows that *we* in the audience
>>have probably got to piss too, after sitting through Death
>>Proof....
>>
>
>stretch, maybe?

no... i don't think it's a stretch at all. it leapt right out at me because i had to piss like a racehorse at that point and seeing her needing to piss on screen just made it worse!

>Again, Spike has run that into the ground too. But how many
>dolly shots are shown throught out the movie. Usually, its a
>few seconds shot. I mean there were feet everywhere for the
>1st half of the movie.

he wanted it to be sexy... QT has a sort of pre-adolescent aversion to blatant sexuality so foot fetishism is a sort of code - a metaphor if you will - for sexuality in his movies. i think it's weird too, but it's just something you accept when you walk through the door.

(i was actually surprised he focused so much on ass and tits, though... usually, he seems a bit scared/embarrassed to go there)

>is Planet Terror NOT some of Rodriguez's regular sh*t?
>
>Sin City, Dusk till Dawn, and Desparado? Over the top movies,
>with non-sensical and exaggerated humor.
>
>no?

yeah, but the "bad" parts are ratcheted up.

dunno why, but that really offended me. maybe it's because i tend to watch RR's movies on DVD and i can accept some of his shortcomings in a home video setting much more than in the theater, where i feel my time and money are being wasted.

>Like you said, Rob is real about his shortcomings. But is
>Quentin and fanbase real about Quentin's shortcomings? I think
>that is the bigger question, that goes unanswered.

i know there are some real QT zealots who are totally out of touch with reality, but i'd say *most* regular QT fans are pretty realistic about his strengths and weaknesses.

>correct me if i'm wrong,but her hand wasn't fix when she was
>trying to start the car and drive, no? her hand were still
>f*cked up. she was trying to start the car forever, and then
>she had to use the upper part of her forearms to steer, no?

her hand was still paralyzed, but it was not broken.

and when the paralysis wore off later in the movie, her hand was completely fine.

it was just a desperate grab for a big laugh in one scene without any follow-up or commitment after that.

i don't mean to harp on it, but i just find that one scene to be representative about a *lot* of things that i hated about the movie (and some of RR's other movies too)

>>so the car chase was not thrilling to you?
>>
>
>no. i was waiting for the movie to end so badly.

okay.