Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjecthas anybody answered Basa's question, though?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=53847&mesg_id=53932
53932, has anybody answered Basa's question, though?
Posted by jambone, Thu Apr-12-07 08:52 AM
>>Who will have the better career when it's all said and done.

^^^^this is the question.

Because right now, I think Tarantino is on E of his creative tank (if he ever was creative), and he is rehashing his once cool/hip/slickster/filmgeek ideas and trying to pass them off as great, i.e. Death Proof. And next is his so-called "war epic" Inglorious Bastards. This sounds like it has the potential of a break or bust move for Tarantino.

That rehashing of hipster jive sh*t is getting old. And if you can tell by Grindhouse's box-office sales, nobody really cares anymore. And the plea coppage is hilarious. I mean, some are even clowning media/critic darling Will Ferrell's Blades of Glory in defense of Grindhouse's lack of appeal. lol

Tarantino has it made. He has the critics on his d*ck and he can do no wrong. He has a niche-type fanbase, that equated mainstream ticket sales (before Grindhouse).

But I think Pulp Fiction was a blessing and a curse for Tarantino. Its not that great of a movie,although it has him set financially for the rest of his life and given him basically total creative freedom and independence. But the success of Pulp Fiction catapulting Tarantino as the critics darling, may ultimately be his downfall. What they praise as perfection, is actually a medicore and flawed way of directing movies. Tarantino was a hack who hit the jackpot.

So when it is all said and done, if you take away the feet,the filmgeek trivia, the homages, and artificial and trivial dialogue of Tarantino, what do you really have?

a medicore director, whose long-term career is in question.

I think M. Night will do fine. He is legit. Critics hate him because he is good and M. Night wants to go down in history and be able to sit down at the table with the Speilbergs of cinema. Nah. Critics. The nerve of him? lol aint' having that. They gonna shoot him down every chance they get. But, like Spike Lee, M. Night ain't going away. When you are good, they may hate you, but they can't deny you.

I think the real question is for Tarantino. As much praise as he gets, can he really sit at the table of Scorsese, Coppala, DePalma, Speilberg, Spike (yeah I said it) with his body of work?

I think the answer is a resounding no.

I think Rob Rodriguez has better a long-term future than Tarantino. I don't see Rob trying to sit at the table though of the big greats. He just trying get paid and make movies people can enjoy and not compartmentalize.

But for Tarantino. You can only get over for so long, before you have to evolve. He has yet to do that yet. Maybe because he doesn't want to and is still basking in the glory of his unconditional love from crtics. Or maybe he doesn't evolve because he is incapable of doing so.