Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectyou've hit some of my concerns
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=53521&mesg_id=53641
53641, you've hit some of my concerns
Posted by bshelly, Tue Jul-24-07 10:37 AM

>However,,, there were some flaws. There was about 100 pages in
>there of straight misery. And it was often boring misery. I
>mean, I understood it's purpose, but there ere literally
>MONTHS where the three of them didn't do anything.

Nah, I liked it. It established a sense of hopelessness that really made you see what a monumental task they were asking three 17 year olds to take down.

And,
>truthfully, I didn't care about the "Dumbledore's hidden past"
>subplot.

I was concerened about this for about 24 hours, but I came around on it. One, I thought it was cool to get the last big Dark Wizard involved. I always wanted to know the story of how Dumbledore beat Grindlewald, and this got to it. More importantly, there's a whole them of redemption that runs through this book. Kreacher gets redeemed (in a sense). Snape gets redeemed through his love for Lily. Even the Malfoys get redeemed by their love for one another. So it's cool to see that even the paragon of virtue throughout the series needed to be redeemed at one time. Plus, I mean, it's Dumbledore, one of my favorite characters ever. How can I not fuck with anything that makes him more complex and gives you back story?

I couldn't really get interested in the Deathly
>Hallows.

The Deathly Hallows are the one thing that concern me the most. I've really struggled with why she needed to introduce another set of objects when Harry was already going after the Horocruxes. In the end, after a lot of thought, I think it works. It shows Harry's innate goodness to go on the quest that will kill Voldemort (Horocruxes) rather than the one that may let him live. The Elder Wand and Voldemort's reasons for going after it are true to the story--he would absolutely want the ABomb after what has happened between him and Harry. She needed a plot device to explain the Dumbeldore/Snape killing plot, and the ring was as good as any. Plus, the Hallows led to some cool shit.

I do think the Hallows could have been explained a lot better. Some things she didn't explain very well, imo, were Harry's indecision about which set of objects to go after, the reasons he chose not to, why Dumbledore didn't tell him, etc. These things are all in there, but she didn't explain them particularly well. Plus, I'm still not sure if it was significant that Harry was the master of the Hallows going into the final battle or not.

So, on the Hallows, I'd say they could have been written better, with a more full explanation, but if you think it through they do work.