Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: Wait a minute...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=51864&mesg_id=51925
51925, RE: Wait a minute...
Posted by CaptainRook, Tue Jun-06-06 03:22 PM
>>>Huh? I don't know how you misled when Spike made the
>>movie.
>>
>>My point was that I don't think it was Lee's intention to
>>mislead people. He's an "artist" and produced art/his
>>interpretation.
>>
>
>Where did he mislead the people?

The misleading part is where he casually and not so subtley (sp?) allowed the finger to pointed at other Black ppl as being responsible for the murder of MX. This contributes more to the old divide and conquer tactic.

Its a 3 hour movie. Malcolm X
>lived several lifetimes in 39 1/2 years. There were always
>going to be things missing that aren't in the movie. I don't
>understand that criticism.

Agreed. And he could've cut down on some of the non-sense jitterbug time at the beginning and inserted a strong implication (at the very least) that imperialist interests were threatened by MX and his vision and ultimate goal and that US Intelligence along with other like agencies in other nations were making serious moves to eliminate him.

Instead, Spike leaves the viewer with the impression of this being just simply another case of Black on Black violence. And MX's murder was much bigger than that.

>
>This is a great movie to capture Malcolm and his life. Its not
>going to cover every minute detail. It encourages you to seek
>more about Malcolm and learn more about him.
>
No doubt. But unfortunately, for the masses, more indepth research is not going to occur. So this movie, for all it's worth, is going to be their education on and impression of MX. This is the sad reality.

>Spike can't win with the critics.

When you take on a project like this that involves an ICONIC figure like MX, you'd better expect some criticism. I mean, it comes with the territory.

Thats what makes Malcolm X
>the movie even more special. It can't be denied because its so
>good. Sure, the critics will find flaws and nitpick. But deep
>in their hearts they know its a masterpiece. And they can't
>stand it. lol
>
It was a good piece of entertainment that was BASED ON the life and times and death of Malcolm X. No more, no less.

>
>