Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: I just caught it for the first time too.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=51864&mesg_id=51878
51878, RE: I just caught it for the first time too.
Posted by Nettrice, Sun Jun-04-06 10:43 PM
>The movie was very powerful and I'm really anxious to learn
>about Malcom X. With that said, the ending of the movie felt
>rushed...

My 7th grade English teacher gave me The Autobiography of Malcolm X and my colleague's father was his personal photographer in the later years, up to his death. Me and my partner in crime used to listen to Malcolm X's speeches when we were freshmen. Hearing them through Denzel Washington was amazing. Washington was riveting as Malcolm X.

About the ending:

I loved that Ossie was able to re-read his eulogy at the end and I think the ending was rushed for a couple of reasons. From imdb.com:

"The film's estimated budget was $34 million. Budget battles plagued the production from the beginning. Initially, director Spike Lee had requested $33 million for the film, a reasonable sum considering the size and scope of the project but far greater than his previous budgets. Additionally, his five previous films combined grossed less than $100 million domestically. As a result of this (and the studio's reluctance to fund black-themed material), Warner Bros. only offered $20 million for a two-hour and 15-minute film, plus an additional $8 million from Largo Entertainment for the foreign rights. When the film went $5 million over budget, Lee kicked in most of his salary, but failed to keep the financiers from shutting down post-production. Lee went public with his battles and raised funds from celebrity friends, such as Oprah Winfrey, Michael Jordan, and Bill Cosby to regain control of his embattled project. Warner eventually kicked in more funds after a positive screening of a rough cut."

and

"Spike Lee removed any mention of Louis Farrakhan from Malcolm X (1992) after receiving specific, direct threats from him."

I think pressure from the studio and threats prevented Spike Lee from doing more at the end of the film. Plus, how can you really express on film Malcolm X's legacy? There are so many things that could have happened if he had lived. I think it was too tall an order even for Lee.