Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectDust under the sink
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=49236&mesg_id=49257
49257, Dust under the sink
Posted by Nettrice, Sat Sep-10-05 11:56 AM
On Ellen, Kayne West talked about how he used to sweep dust under the sink instead of just dealing with it. In this case, he was referring to the poor, Black and underserved in New Orleans but I think this also applies to a movie like Hustle & Flow. I think it's safe for me to write that I abhor Ying Yang and Lil Jon (and I am from the south). However, I liked Hustle & Flow. What disturbed me most was the fact that the real hero in the movie was the white prostitute who was empowered to be "the boss". Yet, it was inevitable. She was the talentless one, the one who didn't have a place in the studio.

In this review I don't think Kaplan really dealt with the "dust under the sink" at all. Brewer tried to but he did not know how to deal with it in a way that was motivating or inspiring for Black folks. Like Crash, H&F does not offer any solutions but neither did Do the Right Things or Boyz n the Hood. Hustle and Flow will never be a classic but I am glad I saw it.