Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: I forgot how divisive Sarah Silverman is on these boards.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=47787&mesg_id=47863
47863, RE: I forgot how divisive Sarah Silverman is on these boards.
Posted by SoulHonky, Thu Apr-13-06 12:27 PM
"A lot of them would just be sexist or racist or anti-religious comments. They could not be jokes, not necassarily funny jokes but just jokes, without irony."

Exactly. Most of her "jokes" are that a pretty "open-minded" girl is saying crazy shit. THe only irony is that she knows better than to say these things but still says them. Very few of her jokes are "jokes". When she deals with feminine or Jewish issues she does a much better job at getting to the irony of it, but even then a lot of times she just says random shit like in her song where she sang "I love you like Jews love money." That's not funny. That's just shocking to hear her sing it. The only "irony" is that she and her audience know better than to say or think such things.

Here's another difference:
Sarah has a joke where she says something like "I was raped by a dentist which was bittersweet because I'm Jewish". It's dark comedy. She takes a stereotype and fucks with it. Do I think it's all that funny? Not really but I can appreciate the irony.

Her saying "I wouldn't mind being black but I like being pretty." is just not funny or ironic. What's funny? What's ironic? What's the joke? It's like if her previous joke was: I wanted to date this one guy, but he wasn't a dentist. How is she playing with the stereotype? What is she bringing to the table? What is ironic besides the fact that she should know better than to say that?

As for the rest of your post, it seems like you are acting like people saying she isn't funny is an indictment against people who think she is funny. Some people like shock humor. Other don't. It's fine. Doesn't mean you are bad or believe it. The issue here IMO is people saying that Silverman gets credit for being ironic or edgy when really most of what she is is little more than shock value.